Chapter XVII

"No

"No. She's staying with me. Not only is she my mate, she also has health issues that need to be attended to, which you would know about had you been in her life. And she's already established and comfortable with Lunar Shadow's pack doctor." I argued, clenching my fist. I was trying to be calm, for Elle's sake, but it was getting increasingly harder.

"I haven't been in her life because I didn't even know she was so close. I just want a chance to get to know my daughter." Trenton said, almost sincerely.

It was rare to see an Alpha, much less and Alpha of his caliber, being so diplomatic. All the more reason to suspect him.

"Alpha Trenton, I apologize for interrupting." A woman said at the door.

"That's alright, Leah. What is it?" Trenton asked.

"There's a male wolf at the border, requesting entrance. He says he's a Lunar Shadow member." She explained.

"My beta." I said. "I'd like for him to be here." I was outnumbered with Travis and Trenton in the room. With Parker I'd have more leverage.

  "Fine, bring him in." Trenton dismissed.

The woman shut the door behind her and I leaned in, my hands folded towards Trenton.

'We're discussing Elle as if she's a piece of property or a child. Why not just let her decide where she wants to be." I suggested.

Trenton grinned.

"Excellent idea." He said, nodding a head towards Travis, who swiftly left the room.

Finally, it was just the two of us.

"Why do you really want Elle with you?" I questioned, dropping my voice to an authoritative growl.

"Like I said, I want to get to know my daughter." Trenton replied.

"Where was that attitude when you first lost her? It's not like you knew she was dead. You just didn't bother looking for her. Not until you found the perfect time to kill the human man who could actually keep a woman."

At that Trenton's eyes flashed a deep crimson and he opened his mouth, fangs barred.

But, the door swung open again, stopping whatever he was about to say.

His eyes softened back to their typical brown shade at the sight of Elle, Lilly and Travis walking back in.

"We were summoned?" Elle smiled, moving immediately to sit next to me.

I smiled smugly at Trenton, as Elle leaned her head on my shoulder.

  "We were just discussing some things and we came to the mutual agreement that you should be the one who chooses which pack you'd like to stay with. You're an adult, so we shouldn't make these decisions for you." Trenton said, smiling warmly.