Chapter XXI

"Nova, stop!" I called, but he didn't answer

"Nova, stop!" I called, but he didn't answer. He simply trudged through the house to the door, where he shifted again.

"Noveno, you can't go alone and you know that. It's not safe." I tried to reason.

His legs twitched. He wanted to run, but the way his ears twisted, I could tell he was listening and knew I was right.

He growled deeply, his eyes darkening.

"Nova?" I leaned closer, touching a hand over his back.

His body swayed oddly.

"What's wrong?"

Before I could say another word his shadow disappeared into the dark woods.
I tried to link him, but my words wouldn't get through.

Panic rose in my chest. His wolf had to have taken over and forced him to run.

Erie whimpered in my head.

Follow.

I nodded, pulling of my clothes. If I could catch up to him, I could stop him from doing something stupid.

Clutching my chest, the pain of the shift quickly raised over me. In moments, I was following the path Noveno had taken.

He was a larger wolf than me. Faster, stronger and much more experienced. I breathed deeply, trying to decipher how far he'd gotten from me.

I caught his scent and pushed further, my lungs slowly tightening.

What felt like a half mile later, I caught a glimpse of his tail moving through the underbrush.

Noveno, please come back. I tried to link.

Go home, Elle.

My chest burned, but I kept going, inching closer.

Please, it's too risky and you know that.

I'm not loosing a single member of the pack, especially not you. So just go home.

My eyes blurred against the rushing wind. My throat and chest stung and I struggled to get any air in.

Parker is smarter than this. He'll come back, I know it. But, for now you need to focus on the rest of the pack and protecting them. That way you won't loose anyone. You won't lose me. Not ever.

I stumbled, my mouth agape but no sound coming from it. My lungs regected any attempt to take in oxygen.

My feet caught an vine and I crashed to the ground. My heart beat frantically.

I tried to call out for Noveno but my voice was stuck and all I could manage was a wheeze.

____

When I woke up, I was laying in a bed, bright fluorescents above me.

At the side of the bed, was Noveno, his head in his hands.

"Nova?" I spoke, my voice hoarse.

"Elle!" He quickly moved towards me taking my hand. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine. What happened?" I asked.

"Your oxygen levels dropped very quickly and you fainted. Luckily we got you back in time so there was no lasting damage." He sighed deeply. "I'm so sorry, Elle. I should have never run out like that. I wasn't in control and I-"

"It's okay, Noveno. It wasn't your fault. All that matters is that you stopped." I assured, squeezing his hand.

"Only because you almost died trying to get me to calm down." He frowned, tugging slightly at his hair.

"But, I'm fine now because of you."

He looked at me and smiled softly.

"So, any word from Parker or Lilly?" I asked.

"No. Nothing. Not a link, not a call, not even a note. And after his first encounter with Parker, I don't know what Trenton will do when they meet again." Nova said with a frustrated groan.

"Well, let's give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's calmed down. I mean, he's lost a lot."

Nova looked into my eyes a look of sadness crossing his face. "Elle, remember when I told you there was a neighboring Alpha and that he was the one who killed your father?"

"Yeah, I remember. Why?" I replied.

"I didn't bother telling you his name because it wasn't relevant then. And then when you met Trenton, I didn't want to say anything. You just seemed so happy to have a dad again, that I couldn't bring myself to."

"Noveno, what are you saying?" My voice cracked. I felt like I knew what he was going to say and I didn't want to believe it.

"Elle, Trenton killed your father."

"You don't know that." I denied, pulling my hand out if his grasp.

"I do. I'm sorry but, Trenton isn't that man you think he is. He's manipulative and untrustworthy. I wouldn't doubt that Lilly is in on his little minds games aswe-"

"Stop it!" I shouted. "I'm tired of you trying to ruin any chance at a family I get. I met you and not long after the only person I've ever had dies. I finally get something like that again and there you are to fuck it all up again. Maybe, if you just, for one second stopped being so paranoid and closed minded about everything then maybe you'd see that not everyone has bad intentions. Just because you can't seem to trust anybody new doesn't mean that you can take that from me. All I wanted was a family, Noveno. That's it."

Noveno stood in silence, his eyes slowly brimming.

I don't think I would have admitted it but it struck me to see, for the first time, my mate cry. But, my pride wouldn't let me feel any remorse.

"Get out." I whispered, looking anywhere but in his direction.

He stood there for a moment as if contemplation whether or no to go.

In all honesty, I hoped he would stay.

But instead he did just what I asked.

And just as the door closed behind him, I burst into tears.