Chapter XXXII

Elle's POV

My hearing succumbed to the singular sound of that gentle beeping. It was quiet, but at the moment, the loudest thing in the dense woods I moved through. And Trenton's leering face haunted me as I did. 

  I tripped through the tangles of vines until I made it back home a panting, shivering mess. The rain had started up again.

  I howled feebly as I walked up to the clearing.

   Nova? I linked. Where are you?

In moments his wolf was by my side, braced to protect. He licked my face, checking my body for wounds. His focus moved to the collar on my neck that he tried to pull off with his teeth.

  I moved away from him before he could get a grip on it.

  Not yet. I said and he huffed slighlty in compliance.

   I nuzzled into his fur as my own rain-heavy pelt
began to slow me down.

  When we finally reached the house we were met by Landon, Parker, Lilly and Nova's parents. Everyone but Kim.

  Guilt coursed through me. I should have tried to bargain with Trenton to release Kim and my mother, but I was so overcone with terror I couldn't think straight. I just ran.

  I shifted as Lilly wrapped me securely in a blanket. And even then, all I could do was cry.

  In the span of a few minutes I was dressed, dried and on the couch, Noveno next to me. We sat in silence and he wouldn't  touch me. As if I was made of glass and he would break me if he moved. I could feel his eyes linger on the collar.

  I had asked to be alone with him, but I wished I had given myself more time. More time to tell him that I failed.

  But there was no time. Trenton had given me three days to convince Nova.

  I breathed deeply.

"Nova, I need you to listen very carefully because I don't think I'll be able to repeat myself." I spoke quietly, trying to control the shaking in my voice.

  He nodded and I continued.

"Trenton is keeping my mother locked in a cell on Blood Water. I don't know where Kim is. The collar on my neck will kill me if I try to take it off. The only way it will be removed is if you agree to hand over Lunar Shadow to Trenton." I rushed through the explanation, but the anger in Noveno's eyes told me he heard every word.

  His hands tightened into fists for a moment, but he released them. He was willing himself to calm down.

  Slowly he reached over and pulled me close to him.

  My face brushed against his chest and the tears started again.

"Don't cry, baby. You did so well. You were so strong. I'm proud of you." He whispered gently as I cried harder.

"I'm sorry." I choked out.

"Don't be. You did everything you could. Parker and Lilly are back and safe."

  But the entire pack was in danger.

"You need to rest." He said, gently rubbing my back. "I'll figure this out."

  "But, wh-"

He shushed me, carefully lifting me up and heading towards the bedroom.

  Once there he layed me down on the bed. I wouldn't have admitted it, but I was tired.