Chapter XXIX

i think i deleted the pov card. idk were it went lol. so... [not edited]

   Elle's POV

My eyes snapped open at a sudden loud clattering against the floor. As my eyes readjusted to the darkness, I saw a small metal tray on the floor.

  Inching closer, I realized it was food. Stale bread and cold oatmeal. But, I didn't have much of an appetite.

  I left the food, my eyes traveling through the cells and back to the she-wolf nearby. She was awake again and staring straight into my cell. Her eyes were wide, but clouded. Almost blurry. But, her attention was unquestionably on the food.

  I looked down at the tray. The bowl looked small enough to fit through the bars. I picked up the bowl and walked to the side of the cell, kneeling down.

  The she-wolf whined and shifted her body slightly as if she understood what i was doing and was encouraging me to hurry.

  I gently pushed the bowl through so I wouldn't spill anything, my skin burning as it grazed the silver. Finally, I pushed the bowl through the bars, sliding it closer to her. She limped from her corner and promptly devoured the oatmeal, her sharp teeth scraping against the bowl.

  When she finished, I reached for the bread as well, tossing it over.

  She seemed stronger after these small meal. Her skin still clung tightly to her ribs, but she was at least content and much more pleasant.

  She layed down on her front paws, peering at me with familiar eyes.

Her fur was the same milky brown as my own, only tangled and shaggy, with hints of grey that marked the signs of an older wolf.

   Can you here me?

A voice suddenly said. I jumped at this and looked around wildly.

"Who said that?" I called into the darkness.

There is no one else here, but me.

The voice said and as the words rang in my head, the she-wolf stood.

  You have his eyes. You're not his but you have his eyes. I'm glad of that.

" What are you talking about?" I ask, my voice shaking as the wolf stalked closer.

You don't recognize me. Of course you don't. It's been almost two decades now hasn't it? You can call me Bea, if you'd like, Elle.

"How do you know my name?" I questioned.

I gave it to you. Amarie didn't seem like the right fit.

My eyebrows furrowed as I looked deeper into the wolf eyes.

Familiar eyes.

My heart stopped as realization struck.

  My lips formed words but my voice was stuck in my throat.

  A deep cry burst from me as I fell to my knees.

Don't cry, my girl. Please don't cry.

"Mama?" Was the only word I could muster. But it felt like the right one.

   I crawled feebly to the bars, reaching an arm through.

She leaned closer and pushed her head gently against my shaking hand.

"I'm sorry," I cried. "I should have know. I should have felt the bond sooner. I should have come for you, mama, I'm sorry."

  No, no, don't apologize. You couldn't have know. My scent and senses have been dampened for years. Trenton kept it that way.

She sat his name like poison on her tounge.

"I can't believe he would do something like this. To his own mate. To his own daughter." I cried.

  My mother shook her head sadly.

He was never my mate.

"What?" I questioned, looking at her through my tears.

It's rare, but sometimes mates are simply never found. I never found my mate, but Trenton did. He found her earlier than most, but she rejected him.

  For an Alpha to be rejected, especially by someone lower, was unheard of. I think that changed something in him. He lost the ability to love. Anything he did was out of selfishness.

   His father used me as a peace treaty for a neighboring pack. The mateless girl and a rejected boy. It was a perfect cover. My duty was to give him children.

We were never mates.

  I was happy to know that Trenton was as a part of me as I thought, but pained to know what my mother really went through.

And Scott! Her eyes brightened at the thought of dad.  Is he alright?

  I looked down at the floor, my eyes brimming with tears once again.

"He. . . he's gone, mama."

  She said nothing, but I could feel the aura of pain and sadness wash over me, coupled with  my own.

  I had kept my tears for my dad tucked inside. I hadn't let the truth settle in me. As if he was perfectly fine and I could visit him whenever I wanted.

  But as my mother shook in agony next to me, i could feel nothing but anger.

  Anger at the man who took my true father away from me.

  I stood shakily, my breath shallow and my throat aching from the tears.

   Elle? What's wrong?

"I'm going to kill my father."

  -------

     😶👉🏾👈🏾 hey y'all. it's been a minute. look im just as surprised as you are tbh. i think we're finally getting closer to the end. no more than ten more chapters i think. and then I'll probably start editing this mess lol. i hope you enjoyed this chapter♡♡