Chapter XXII

Sensitivity is a flaw

Sensitivity is a flaw. It means weakness. An alpha cannot be weak. The very definition of an Alpha is strength and power.

I remembered my father's words from when I was a child, forever branded in my mind.

But, it's hard to feel strong when the person who made you feel strong, doesn't want to see your face.

  I sat on the stoop of the house a light rain beginning to fall over me. I used to like the rain. Now, it simply served as a reminder of my own tears.

  "Noveno? Is everything alright? Is Elle okay?" Landon asked quietly, stepping out next to me.

"Yeah, she's fine. She'll just have to be one
bed rest for a little while." I said, struggling to even out my shaky tone.

"That's good to hear." He paused, sitting down at my left. "What about you?"

"What about me?" I sighed.

"Are you alright?"

  Don't show weakness. It rang in my head again and again. But, a that moment I couldn't be strong.

"No. I'm not. I've lost my beta, my mate and the safety of my pack in one day." I whisper, my throat tightening.

"Nova, only one of those things is true. Yes, Parker may have left, but Elle is perfectly fine and still with us. And the pack is safer than ever. I can vouch for the entire pack when I say that we've never felt more confident in our alpha." Landon assured, placing a firm hand on my shoulder.

  "For the longest, I just wanted to prove to everyone that I could be a great Alpha. I just haven't proved that to myself. And I don't think I can. Not until I get Parker back. Not until Trenton is no longer a threat. Not until. . . not until Elle doesn't hate me anymore."

"Hate you? Why would she-"

"I told her what Trenton did. The poison in the letter. She didn't take it very well. I'm scared she'll leave too. And I don't think I could handle that."

"Nova, in the time I've known Elle I've realized that she is just as forgiving as she is stubborn. When you tell someone something like that, anybody would be angry. I think she needs you more than ever right now. To assure her that you're going to be there for her. I don't know much about what it's like to have a mate, but one thing I know for sure is that you have to protect each other. Whether it's from physical threats or emotional ones. You can't protect her from everything, but you can soften the blows. Now that she's had some time to cool off, I think it's time you got do that."

I rubbed an hand over my face.

"You're right." I spoke, looking up at the sky. "You should head inside, the rain is getting heavier."

Landon nodded and stepped in.

  I stood, making my way back to the clinic. Making my way back to Elle.

I knocked on the door of her room.

  "Who is it?" Elle's voice called.

I hesitated then tried to calm myself.

"It's me. Can I come in?." I spoke steadily.

   For a moment there was silence before a quiet 'okay' drifted to me.

Gently, I pushed open the door.

  Elle sat up, her face turned away from me. But I could still see that her eyes were red and her cheeks were wet.

  I sat down on the side of the bed.

  "What do you want?" She whispered curtly, her voice hoarse.

  "To say that I'm truly, deeply sorry. I was so focused on being a good alpha, I forgot how to be a good mate." I brushed a thumb over her cheeks to wipe away her tears.

  "I don't want to lose you. And I know it's selfish, but I want to be the only family you ever need. But, that's unrealistic. Which is why I've decide that, if it's what you want, I'll compromise with Trenton somehow."

Elle's eyes brimmed with tears.

"No, baby don't cry." I tried to wipe them away but she stopped me.

"You don't want that." She said plainly.

"What?"

She laughed slighlty.

"You don't want to compromise with Trenton at all. You don't have to do that for me Nova." Elle sighs, looking out the window as the rain falls harder.

"I feel like deep down I knew Scott wasn't my real father, like he took care if he care of obligation, not love. When I met Trenton, I thought I'd have to opportunity to get that love. But, I didn't even consider the love I had already. From you. I love you, Noveno."

  My heart raced at her words and my wolf howl within me. I placed a gentle kiss in her forehead.

"I love you too, Elle."

  _________

  hey y'all, sorry this chapter is a little shorter than usual. i wanted to do a chapter with noveno exclusive ly, because idek if ive done that yet.

  i love this chapter because it really shows the rawness to both characters. this is technically their second 'i love you' but i consider it their first because they really bared themselves emotionally to each other. i wanted there to be something emotional before physical.

basically what im saying is  now that the sappy shit is over, there will be smut lol. if not next chapter, then the one after that.

  ♤