Chapter XXV

"Trenton and I were never exactly friends, but I've known him for almost thirty years now

  "Trenton and I were never exactly friends, but I've known him for almost thirty years now. He's got one he'll of an ego, but he's not stupid. Any offense he makes won't be random or quick." Seth said, tapping a finger against the table.

"So what are we talking, a gradual attack?" Noveno asked.

  Seth nodded. "He's patient and will wait for the bait to catch. Right now, Parker is the bait. So we need bait of our own." Seth glanced my way, his eyes piercing.

Noveno caught the look and quickly spoke up. "We're not using Elle. She's exactly what he wants, and if we just hand her over then-"

"Then we'll be able so get intel. Give Trenton confidence that he's getting what he wants. She can send us information, delay any attacks and sway Parker back all at once. Give him what he wants, so we can get what we need."

"What about the merging? He's always wanted that. We could fake an agreement and take him down then." Landon suggested.

I shook my head. "He wouldn't trust that. It'd be an obvious trap. His only understanding of my personality is that I'm a naive girl. He wouldn't suspect much from me. And if he did, I could gain his trust."

Seth smirked. "See, Noveno. She gets it."

  Noveno narrowed his eyes, but nodded. "I still want her to be protected. She can't go in there alone."

"I'll go with Elle. Trenton doesn't know me or my rank. I can help her get out if need be. Trenton will probably put more of his suspicion on me, which is better for Elle anyway." Kim offered, as she leaned against the nearby bookcase 

  Everyone seemed to hum in agreement and I smiled gratefully at Kim.

  "Wonderful." Seth said. "Now the next question is, when do we put this plan into action?"

"As soon as possible." Noveno said. "I want this over and done with as quickly as we can."

  "We should get going early in the morning. 2 or 3 am. To make it seem like we really ran off without warning." Kim suggested.

  "Fine. Make contact sparsely but in detail."  Noveno clarified. Everyone should rest, we start this tommorow."

_____

I could barely sleep. My chest was tight and full of worry. But, I wasn't the only one. Noveno's eyes were wide open as we lay in bed, his arms wrapped around me.

  "Be careful. I want you and Kim to keep each other safe and if you're ever in danger, follow her lead." He said, his voice raspy from sleeplessness.

  I nodded, turning my head so that my ear was against his chest. His heartbeat was strong but quick. He didn't show it outwardly, but he was nervous.

"I know you can't help it, but don't worry too much about me. I'll be okay." I said, placing a kiss on his jaw.

He smiled down at me. "I know. Because if anything happens to you, I will personally be severing some heads."

"Nova!"

"What?" He laughed. "I'm kidding. Mostly."

He chest rises under me.

  "I just wish there was and easier way to do this." He frowns lightly. I can see the tiredness in his eyes. Not just from insomnia, but from the days and weeks of stress.

  "Nova, do you. . .do you ever regret being mated to me?" I asked quietly.

"No, baby, of course not. Do you regret being mated to me?"

  "No, it's just ever since we met, things have  been difficult. If we never knew each other,  all this wouldn't be happening."

"Elle, I don't think you and I being mated caused any of this. There had already been tension between Blood Water and Lunar. And Parker and Lilly would have been mated eventually. You didn't cause this. You just set in to motion something that should have happened a long time ago. I don't regret meeting you. If anything you're the  best thing that has ever happened to me. I love you."

  "I love you, too."

_____

  again, sorry for the short bs chapter. its my b-day so i cut myself a lil too much slack. but, i wanted to get one last cute little moment with nova and elle before we get into the real espionage. the next chapter is going to be at least 900 words so it might take a while for me to get the motivation to write it. i have another book that im writing off of wattpad that is in the outline stages right now, but it has my full attention atm.

thank y'all so much for reading and for 30k reads!