Chapter XXVI

I stood at the edge of the woods, Noveno and many other pack members seeing us off

I stood at the edge of the woods, Noveno and many other pack members seeing us off. I breathed deeply and we started off, weaving through trees and shrubs.

I didn't like the fact that I knew the path to Blood Water by heart.

  Kim matched my pace, a look of nervousness but also determination etched on her face.

  Hopefully, Parker was still on our side. If he was, then we'd have one less issue to worry about. But, if he wasn't, it could be a big problem.

  We continued through the woods, silent besides our light footfall.  The scent of Blood Water grew heavier as the dense woods lightened.

  Finally, we slowed scanning the darkness for other wolves. I could smell evidence of other wolves and the obvious territory lines, but nothing came into sight.

  Erie whined, antsy.

   Suddenly, I caught a sound and before I could react a wolf burst from the underbrush and dove at Kim's right flank, jaws wide.

  She howled in pain as the other wolf clamped down on to her.

  I quickly jumped at the wolf, knocking them off of Kim. Soon a half dozen more wolves surrounded us.

I rose from my defensive crouch, the fur on my neck and back lifting with me. With a flash of my teeth, I knew they recognized me. And if they didn't, they at least recognized my Alpha blood.

  The other wolves lowered themselves in submission and made an opening in their circle, straight to Blood Water.

Carefully, I helped Kim to her feet. She limped, gingerly testing her leg. The others eyed her suspiciously, but led us further out of the woods.

  As we reached a clearing, a figure moved out of the shadows.

Trenton. But, for now, he was Dad. I sighed softly. The facade starts now.

  Wagging my tail, I bounded quickly over to him.

"Elle?" He questioned, leaning down slightly to get a better look.

"I knew you'd make the right choice." He smiled, placing a hand just between my ears.

  I barked and ran in small circles, feigning excitement and avoiding his touch.

  Trenton looked up, his eyes narrowing at the sight of Kim.

We'll discuss her later. He said curtly, through the link.

   In minutes we were in the pack house and I was given some clothes to wear. I made my way unescorted, to the office, a sense of nervousness filling my chest.

  "Elle?" A voice called.

I turned quickly, my eyes landing on a very familiar face.

"Parker!" I rushed over to where he stood at an alcove. He looked happy to see me, but I didn't know if I could say the same for myself. He wasn't exactly in the wrong to leave Lunar Shadow, but he did so without a goodbye. For all I knew, his allegiance was no longer with us. So I'd have to play my cards right.

"How did you get here? When did you get here?" His face darkened, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Is Noveno with you?"

  "No." I replied. "I made sure I wasn't followed."

"Why did you leave?" He asked.

I racked my brain, reciting the story I'd planned to give if my motives were questioned.

"After you and Lilly left, he went crazy. He thought I'd leave too. He. . . he locked me in the cells. Kim got me out and we ran here. It was the only place I could think to go."

"Kim is here?" Parker asked, his eyes widening.

  I nodded. "Don't worry, she's not going to betray me or anything."

  A look of guilt washed over Parker's face.

  "I have to go meet my dad now." I said, the word almost sticking in my throat.

"Right, I'll come with you." I started to pretest, but decided against it, allowing him to walk alongside me as we made our way to Trenton's main office.

  When we arrived Trenton, Lilly, Travis and Kim were already there.

Kim eyed Parker, angrily , but quickly masked her emotions.

  "Elle! You're back!" Lilly rushed to me and enveloped my thin frame in her arms.

  I forced a happy giggle and hugged her tightly, maintaining my clueless facade.

"I knew you wouldn't give up on family." She said, releasing me.

"And we're glad you didn't." Trenton said with a warm smile, that made me feel stuck and uncomfortable. "I was just talking with you're friend Kimberly and-"

"Kim is fine." She replied sharply.

Trenton glared at her, but quickly eased the menacing stare back into his trademark grin.

  "Right, Kim. She was just telling me about you're escape." He frowned in false sadness. "I'm sorry Noveno did those things to you. Possessiveness and instability runs in the Tarron family. I would have liked to hope that some of our family's good qualities would rub off on him, but that didn't seem to be the case."

   "You'll never have to worry about him again, Elle." Lilly reassured.

  "And now that you're here, we can finally acclimate you to the pack." Travis spoke.

  "Exactly." Trenton agreed.

    "Welcome to Blood Water, Elle."

_____

  ive been really struggling to write this lol. it may be because im currently outlining for my first serious novel and haven't had inspiration. this story is just for fun a for me to unwind, so it's not intended to really be a good story. but, i couldn't help work some plot into it and now i have no idea what im doing lol. im sorry to say this, but expect shorter chapters. maybe 700-900 words. it's getting harder for me to write anything more than that lately. hopefully this'll help me update more often now that im not forcing myself to write so much. anyway thanks for reading y'all. :)