Chapter XXXI

Noveno's POV

"I don't like this." I said, curtly, tapping a hand against my stubbled jaw.

"I know you don't, but it's too late, son. She's already there, doing what she needs to do. Play your part." My mother said, tipping a cup of coffee into her mouth.

"Something is going to go wrong. Trenton is ambitious but he's not an idiot. We should have done this differently. I could have-"

"No, Nova. There's nothing you could have done that would keep everyone safe and happy. You've been like this since you were little. Always wanting to make sure everyone makes it out okay. That isn't realistic. Someone is going to have to risk their safety for others and it can't always be you."

"I know," I replied. "I wish it was."

We sat in silence for a moment before my mother spoke again.

"She might not be the strongest physically, but I can tell Elle knows what she needs to do and has the drive to do it. If not for the sake of the pack, then for you."

I knew she was right, but I wouldn't admit it. At least not out loud.

Elle had been away for only two days and both my wolf and I were tense. She had Kim with her, but would that be enough?

I stood from the table, brushing a worried hand across my neck. As I headed up towards my office, Landon came bursting through the front door.

"Alpha, it's Parker and Lilly! They're back." He said.

"What about Elle and Kim?" I asked, rushing to follow him outside.

"Neither are back yet. Lilly is a bit roughed up; lacerations on her neck." Landon explained.

The bundle of nerves in my chest grew tighter as we made our way to the pack doctor.

Lilly sat there on the bed, her neck bandaged and Parker sitting closely beside her.

He stood at the sight of me.

"Alpha." He said simply with a nod. I could hear the guilt in his voice.

"What happened?" I asked, trying not to let anger get the best of me.

The two stood in silence before Lilly cleared her throat.

"My father made Elle participate in the intiation test for Blood Water." She started, her voice hoarse. "She didn't complete it and he had her imprisoned."

Landon placed a hand on my shoulder and I realized how tense they were.

"We were chased by the pack and eventually, they dragged us back. When Elle escaped, Dad forced Parker to link her and agree on a rendezvous point. The North Lake. They ambushed her there and she made it across the territory lines, but then he-" Lilly stopped, a strangled sob escaping her.

Parker hugged her tightly, continuing for her.

"Trenton threatened Elle with Lilly's life. She compromised to let us cross in exchange for herself. We couldn't fight back, there were too many of them. So we. . . we ran."

"And Kim?" Landon asked.

"We never saw her again after the test." Parker said quietly.

"Noveno, what should we-"

I lifted my hand to stop Landon. I needed time to call myself and think. My mate and gamma were in danger. And Trenton was obviously willing to, if not kill, then at least imprison his own daughters.

There was no possibility of getting inside information. Offense was the only option.

I beckoned Landon to follow me and walked swiftly back to the main house.

"Find my father." I said. "We might have a fight on our hands."

Elle's POV

I didn't fight as they tied me to the chair. I don't have anything left in me.

Trenton, Travis and three other men stood in the room with me.

"Is this really necessary, Trenton?" Travis asked quietly.

Trenton ignored his brothers question, instead leaning down to face me.

"You're much more resilient than I thought you'd be. But, it's to be expected with genes like ours." He spoke calmly.

"What do you want, Trenton?" I asked.

"Straight to the point. I can appreciate that." He smiled, straightening. "To put it simply, I want Lunar Shadow. A long time ago that territory was ours and I simply want it back. And you're going to help me."

"What makes you think I'd help you?" I spat.

Trenton nodded towards the man holding a metal case. He opened it to reveal a black collar and a small remote.

Trenton took them in his hands.

He stepped closer, clasping it collar around my neck.

He pressed a button on the remote and the collar beeped once.

"That collar has a toxin in it. If you try to remove it or if your mate doesn't comply with my terms, it'll be injected into your blood stream. If it doesn't kill you, you'll at the very least be brain-dead. All I need you to do, is convince that lovely mate of yours to surrender his pack to me." I watched him twirl the remote through his fingers like a child with a toy.

His grin was sickening, but I could tell there wasn't a hint of a lie in that grin.

He was willing to kill me.