Chapter 10: The Reason - Amy

Amy

Thinking to myself, maybe the third time is the charm? While dialing my parent's cell phone again. This time, I hope they answer. It rings a few times and this worries me. Mom and Jack have never ignored or missed any of my calls, so I'm getting upset.

Vin rubs my shoulder as he continues to read my father's journal in the back seat of the Rover. I'm in the front with Jay, as he drives us back to Philly and my office. The kidnappers requested the items from the briefcase to trade for Beth's freedom, but I still wonder if they have her. Listening to the phone ring over and over, as I look out the window and fret. Something bad has happened to them and it's all my fault.

There is a click and I hear, "Amy, are you alright?"

Thank God, it's my mother.

"Yes, Mom, hello! Are you both okay?" I exclaim.

Then I add, "We need to talk. It's very important. Are you and Jack safe?" I ask as Vin and Jay both look at me.

She answers, "Yes, baby, we are fine. What's happening there? Did you go visit Beth as we wanted? We called you several times, but you never answered."

Now that they are safe, I want the truth.

"Sorry mom, my new phone was muted by mistake," I state.

Taking a deep breath, I add, "Mom, Beth was kidnapped tonight, and I need your help. This all stems from the Donald Millhouse case that I'm working on. They want all the items that were in his briefcase, including my birth father's journal, and we need to talk about all of this right away."

There is dead silence.

I continue, "Mom, I need the truth, and do not lie to me anymore."

She asks curtly, "Where are you?"

Interesting, she's very serious suddenly. The mom's tone is gone, and she is all business now. My mother knows that I know her secrets and she can't hide this from me anymore. I want to know about my actual father and she has to tell me the truth now.

"Where are you, Amy?" she asks again, but in a much more aggravated tone.

I reply. "We are on our way to my office in Philly. I need to get some items that the kidnappers are requesting from Donald Millhouse's briefcase first."

She's quiet again.

"You said we, who are you with Amy?" Mom asks briskly.

She is upset and worried about me but acting strange. Is she trying to hide her feelings from me?

I answer her, very matter-of-factly, "My two friends are with me, Jay Goodwin. You remember him from my graduation. He is Beth's older brother and Vin Roth. We are trying to figure out a way to rescue Beth."

Mom asks, "Did you just say Vin Roth, as in Calvin Roth, the billionaire who owns the Roth Corporation?"

Now my mother sounds upset and confused. I dated him for years; she knows that; I told her this years ago.

"Yes mother, Vinny...Calvin Roth...is there a problem?" I ask with an attitude.

Now I'm wondering if her question has to do with my birth father and the fact that he may or may not have murdered Vin's parents.

"No, sweetheart, it's fine. I was just wondering. Jack and I will meet you at our house since you are coming this way." She says while using that mom tone again.