Matt and Viola Character Building

I could hear Matt coming after me as I raced back to my room. I really didn't want to talk to him. I didn't want to talk to anyone. Especially not that piece of shit Juliet. Matt was probably just gonna make fun of me and tell me how he would never like me back and he was in love with Juliet. I slammed the door shut behind me and locked it, and right when I slunk down onto my bed and began to soak my pillow with tears and muffle sobs into it, I heard a soft knock on the door followed by a gentle, "Viola? It's Matt. Please let me in."

I knew ignoring him wouldn't help anything or just make it worse, so I slowly and silently got up and slid the door open reluctantly. "What do you want, Matt?" I asked, voice quivering with sobs and nasally from crying. He pulled me into a warm embrace, his hands respectfully place on the middle of my back, and not too low. It was nice. He smelled of sweet cologne, not too strong. "Why are you here?" I whispered into his ear. I hadn't meaned for it to come out mean, but I guess it did because he pulled back a little to look into my eyes. 

"Viola..." he started. He looked like he had no idea what he was about to say, and he was blushing furiously. I must have been too, because my cheeks felt hot. Or maybe that was just the tears that refused to stop falling down my face for some reason. Probably a mixture of both. He pulled me back in. We stood there hugging in silence for so long that I had forgotten he had said anything until all of a sudden I felt hot breath on my ear and heard, "I still have feelings for you. It hurt me to hear that you think I don't care about you." 

My stomach was doing all kinds of flips and twists. I had almost forgotten about Kiki. "I'm not actually in love with Juliet. I want you, Viola. I know this is a bad time, but I think we need each other."

I'm pretty sure he was about to say something else, but before he could, my lips were on his. I missed him. We lay down on my bed for a while, just cuddling as I sobbed into his shoulder and he patted my back and stroked my hair. I fell asleep in his arms that night.