Chapter 19

Irene

We quietly inspected Jean's body. Yin is walking around to take a better look at her body. Klaudius is determined to find evidence that will prove him innocent. I stared blankly at the floor for a few minutes, my mind is going blank and my head is throbbing like crazy. My eyes darted to Klaudius to observe him again, the blood is still in his shirt and his right hand. I sighed and lowered my head. Maybe I did not know Klaudius at all, huh?

I closed the door behind me but I stop mid tracks when I hear Yin say

"Hey emo boy, I think you should surrender now. There is no one to blame here but you! Your baseball bat here is clearly the blunt object used and you were a former baseball player am I correct." I continued to think until I stop before my room. Then a realization hit me.

I didn't even bother closing the door as I quickly seated on my chair

"How could Yin know that he is a former player? Klaudius buried that memory a long time ago because of the injury it cost him. He then quitted and used his left hand since then..." I write down all the ideas and realizations on my note pad. Based on what I observed a while ago, his left hand is full of blood, not his right which he cannot use because of the injury a long time ago. I let out a loud sigh as I went back to Klaudius' room again.

I glanced at his direction and saw him sleeping, like usual. I scanned the room again, finding more evidence. I began rethinking about what happened, from the very first start of the class. It seemed rather fishy. I decided to go to my room—where I study my evidences—hoping to find the answers for all of these. I want to go home. My thoughts were disrupted when I heard the door creaked open.

"I-I just figured out that we should talk," Klaudius asked as if he was hesitating.

I walked pass by him, spreading this authority aura. I want to let him know that I'm the one who's controlling our every move now. I headed to the sofa; things are about to get down.

I saw Klaudius getting closer and closer to where I was sitting. He couldn't be the suspect, I'm sure of that, or am I? I waited for him to get seated.

"I just want you to know that I'm not the one who k-killed her." I could see the pain in his eyes.

"I treated her as my sister, Irene! You of all people would know that..."

Then I remembered about the bat, where it was placed again. "Does Yin, know anything about you being in the school's varsity team?" I asked putting every piece of information in my head.

"Nothing that I know of." I sighed at his answer. I stood up, wanting to get water.

As I was holding the cup, a sudden realization hit me. Yin is also left-handed and I remember him telling stories—well more of boasting his pathetic life—he stated that he used to play baseball. Oh! How could you miss that, Irene? Really, now?!

I got back to the room we were in, only to be surprised at the sight before me. In front of Klaudius is Yin with, guess what, the same bat used to kill Jean.

"Oh! Nice to see you again. I figured we should talk. All three of us, maybe?" He said as he was tapping the bat unto his hand repeatedly.

"You conniving piece of shit. This was your plan, right? You started this!" I lashed out on him as I was walking towards him, not showing any hint of fear.

"You know I came here to make a deal with you guys. But It seems like you're leaving me with no choice!" Yin said as he raised his bat, I shut my eyes close as I anticipated the loud bang in my head, but it never came.

"Irene, go!" I opened my eyes at the sound of Klaudius' voice. He was shielding me away from the bat that almost hit me.

"Go!" I head Klaud's voice once more. "No, no, I'm not leaving you," I shouted back after he pushed me away from the fight that is about to start between the two boys. I was quick about thinking about getting the lamp post just beside the sofa and smashed it in Yin's head.

"Let's go, Klaud!"

We both ran away, leaving Yin in an unconscious manner.

"It was him all along! But I trusted him!" I shouted as If my dear friend betrayed me. Pain is evident in my voice, but it was soon changed into loathe when I remembered the sight of people's dead bodies lying on the school grounds. We stopped our tracts when we heard a gunshot.

I quickly turned around to where the noise came from. There he was, Yin, pointing the gun directly at me.

"I was thinking of leaving with you out of this hellhole, sugar. But you ran away with him. Now you left me with no choice but to kill you both and as they say, 'Ladies, first!'" Yin said with a mocking voice. Klaudius was quick to get to his feet, while Yin was busy talking, to me, he got the gun Yin is holding. They fought for the gun. I didn't know what to do.

I heard a loud bang, symbolizing that the shot was fired. I felt a body suddenly fell in my feet. The gun was discarded away from the both of him, and it flew just about where I am and quickly get it. There he was, Klaudius, lying on the floor. I was at lost for words. Before I could react, I found myself pulling the trigger until I heard the familiar shot fired. It was directed to Yin; he fell onto the floor. But my focus where now all on Klaudius. I attended to him.

"I'm sorry for what happened between us in the past, Irene," He stated almost murmuring.

"Wait, no, Klaudius, don't do this. Wake up! You promised we'll survive together! Let's go, we can get out now." He reached to cup my face gently and he shook his head while smiling sadly. My tears won't just stop, I wanted to pull him up, but my body was just too weak to do anything.

"No, you need to go, Irene! You said it yourself, we promised. Now do me a favor and keep that promise. Go!" he convinced me.

"No, no!" I was shaking my head, showing him that leaving him is not an option.

"Go now. Always r-remember t-that I-I-I l-o-ove you." He stated until his last breath faded away.

"No, please tell me this is a joke! No!" I cried and cried hoping that my tears would bring him back to life. But it was hopeless. I decided to get up and leave, bringing a heavy heart with me.

As I was about to leave. I saw a phone not far away from Yin's body. I reached for it and left them.

I tried opening the phone as I was walking towards the gate, we used to enter on the first day. I dialed the police station's number. I was now hopeful until I heard a familiar voice.

"Ahh, this year is truly interesting, don't you think?" I froze in place as I heard the voice of our principal.

"Congratulations Irene but you are not going anywhere."