Chapter Five

Fati sunanki ko (your name is Fati right)? In kinason shi tell me (Tell me if you love him) and dont be jealous.

"Jealous of you? You behave as if you are the most perfect being in this camp. You dont even associate with people because you feel superior. You are not even my type to be jealous of.

Jane was already apologising and would'nt want us to have a fight.

"Isma'il is my very good friend", I said; "but I can not even date my fellow corper. Me na cikin gida ya ci balle ya bawa na waje".

The hausa guys standing beside me all turned to look at me.

And I stormed and made my exit. I was very angry, why would people accuse me of dating Ismail? Why on earth would fati think of me as someone who is so full of myslf?, when I have thousand things running in my mind and I just wanted to stay out of trouble.

I looked to Isma'il's direction and I was angry with him for no good reason. Why would my heart feel attached to him just few days of meeting.

I need a serious relationship that would lead to marriage, why would My heart fall inlove with somone who does'nt have direction to his life yet. I hissed and ignored his beautiful smile.

I hung around with people asking them if I was really an unfriendly person. People actually told me I am too serious, always minding my business and reserved that was why most people thought I was married.

After the cannival I prayed maghrib and Ismail texted me to meet him outside. Dere was no social dat day nd I would'nt want people to start there unnecessary assumptions. So I ignored his text and missed calls and slept off.

It was almost 9pm and I was so tired when I stood up to go Mami and get food to eat. I saw Ismail sitting in front of the mosque and waiting for me.

Did'nt you see my message and missed calls?, He asked.

"I did. I was too sleepy nd tired".

"That is not a reason. we have 3days to depart, dont you want to spend the little time with me"?

"No", was all I said and walked passed him.

Zainab! Zainab!! Zainab!!!, He called out and before I turned he was already holding my hands and looking at me right into my eyes.

Do you want to rape me? I asked.

I could hear him laugh wit all his strength. "No I am not going to rape, I am not that type".

"Good for you then. I don't want us going around togeda, people literally think we are hanging out".

What?!, He exclaimed.

"Do you want people outside camp to be gossiping that I came to the south to be seeing a man"?.

What if they see us together with our unborn children? Would'nt it make a perfect love story? He asked.

You are not serious Ismail I said and increased my walking steps.

I was expecting him to follow me but there was no sign of Ismail. I did'nt turned back either and I made my way to the hostel.

After few minutes a soldeir called me out from the hostel. My heart was beaten faster.

Zainab! If you are afraid of me you are wrong! The soldeir said whilebI approached him.

I laughed and I could see people's eye on me.

"Sir you called me".

Yes Zainab, someone said I should give you this to eat and he also said you should please not sleep with hunger.

I realised he was holding a nylon of take away.

I collected and thanked him. I went straight to the room and gist my corner mates. We all thought it was one of the soldeirs that sent him to give me.

A textd from Ismail came in while I was about to sleep.

"Eat well Zainab, I dont know your favourite but manage the little one I sent to you". We need to talk tomorrow".

I don't want to tell them that Ismail was the one that sent it, I kept the text to myself.

I am locked up between loving Isma'il and then accepting the fact that he is nothing and not someone who will marry me anytime soon. And I get more scared and angrier remembering what Fatima told me in the day time.

I slept with thoughts in my mind and I avoided Ismail through out the few days.

I stopped parading and I could just meet my friend in redcross to spend the time with her in the van. The soldeir's always scold me for not seeing me for the passing out parade rehearsals. I became more emotionally unbalanced for the remaining few days and hoped the end of camp would be the end of our frndship with Ismail.

********Munarii*******

😊😍😍