Chapter Eleven

I did not had any courage discussing such with Ismail. He continued picking me up at work wen I resumed work and we would jst gist on our way home.

Ismail is very lovely and indeed a gentleman. He understood me so much that he could tell if anything was wrong with me.

Zainab is anything wrong with you? He asked.

No I am okey wallahi. Meka gani (what did you see)? I replied him.

"You looked so worried two days. Please tell me what is making you worried. I hate to see you this way. Its few days to our POP I just want everything to work out so that we will start making our marriage arrangement", he replied.

Instead of being happy his words hit me so deep and I became more puzzled. How would I tell the poor soul that there is possibility that things might not work out between us?

I smiled half way and nodded with agreement. We said our goodbyes and I rushed back home.

I entered And saw blessing lying on the floor. I hlped her up and she complained that she was having stomach ache.

I volunteered to cook for the house even though she insisted dat she could do it.

I took my time to cook curry rice with chicken vegetable sauce and I was extra careful to bring out a food that would meet everybodies test.

I was mopping and arranging the parlor when Yusuf entered. He stared at me so deep that I could bet he was surprised to see me do some house chores.

"Blessing is sick and I told her to take the day off", I said before he could even open his mouth to talk.

Do you mind if I help you with some? He asked.

Thank you but I am almost done, I replied him.

"Please do not run away after maghrib because we have important issues to discuss with Abba".

I nodded and I was scared, because I know that our day will soon be fixed.

I finished two raka'ats and prayed to Allah to ease our affairs. I went down stairs and everyone talked about how nice the meal was and how they really enjoyed it. I could'nt help but blushed.

I sat down with them as they eat and gisted.

Uncle Sanusi cleared his throat and told us that he want to see me and yusuf after Isha. I don't have the courage and charisma to go upstairs and pray, I stayed in the sitting room and waited for them to come back from mosque.

We all sat on the floor while he sat on the couch.

"I called you both to know what exactly you two plan for each oda. Zainab you have been a good girl and likewise your mother, she brought you up in the most decent way and all what we can say is Alhamdulillah".

"Yusuf is my son", he added pointing at Yusuf. I raised him up and made him be the man he is today.
Few years back he finished school and wanted getting married . As Allah plans ahead of us his girlfriend died in a car accident.

I looked at yusuf and I could see where all his attitude were coming from. The story made him revived old memories because I could tell from his mood.

Uncle Sanusi looked at me and continued, his deseased girlfriend's sister, Zainab,  wanted him to marry her , but she have dubious characters to look into, we were told and also confirmed dat she had abortions severally and she still see men of high societal rank.

I personally told her father that we had someone for him before he met Maryam because We want to save him from Zainab's characters.

"I now see why Yusuf told me not to interfer in their issue when we picked up Mufeeda and Raheela that day", I thought to myself.

Uncle Sanusi Excused himself and it was only me and Yusuf remaining in the sitting room.

Yusuf head was still down and I moved slowly towards him

"Yaya yusuf wallahi inason Ismail(I sincerely love Ismail)", I said while looking at him endlessly. We don't have to go into somthing just because our parent's want us to. We are in the 21st century. Instead of getting married together we can be cool friend's and make the best out of everything.

Yaya yusuf I want to ask you for a favor.

He rose his head this time around.

"Please yaya I want your support, I promise to make you lively as you were before the tragedy happened. I will make my remaining days memorable to both of us. I promise I will be your good sister and a friend but I just want your support concerning my relationship with Ismail. I do not know how I would break up the news of breaking up with him, please save me yaya yusuf", I pleaded with all my strength.

"You really do love him, don't you? He asked.

I blushed and looked away.

I am planning for a program of one year duration. I will make sure I convince both our parent's to let you be with the one you love.

I blushed as I looked at his zero tension mood.

We said our goodbyes and I went straight to the room to call Ismail.

*********************************

It's been a week and I have not seen Yusuf around the house.
My POP was around the corner and I needed to discuss one or two things with him before going to kano to meet Baba.

I searched everywhere and he was no where to be found. I later saw him in his car sitting alone when I lost hope of finding him that day.

"Yaya yusuf I have been looking everywhere for you and you were no where to be found".

For the first time he looked happy and friendly.

Have a seat with me please Zainab, he opened the car door.

I was so confused and wondered what it might be.

I got admission for a programme in switzerland. I would be leaving in two months time.

Is that why you are happy?

"Yes Zainab". This time around he held my hands into his, I looked at our hands and I could feel chills over my body.

I am sorry, he said as he released my hand. I don't think I will come back anytime soon when I leave naija, it will be perfect and enough excuse for you two to get married when I am gone for long.

The idea is super perfect, I said. You have saved me the stress of convincing Uncle and others wallahi.

I jumped out of the car and I was super happy.

             ********Munarii*******

                           😊😍😍