Chapter Twenty Five: Parenting is hard

She sat by the only have of the day with some other switching off and taking her place, having Daryl give her a water bottle and dinner once it turned night. (Y,n) was determined to find out everything she could about Lydia. 

"I remember that look in his eyes, how cold it was" The girl had just finished telling Henry a backstory of when shit first hit the fan and from what it sounds like, her father was not a good man. Something (Y,n) could relate to. "I don't even know why I'm telling you this..." She sighs which almost made (Y,n) scoff. It was so obvious, she was trying to suck up to Henry, was he that oblivious?  

"Because it beats the quiet. It beats being alone" He answered her, even though it wasn't a question.

"I miss being alone. My people traveled in groups with the dead, I miss the sounds... The smell" She started, 

"Not gonna lie-- walking around in dead people skins is pretty messed up," Henry told her which was something (Y,n) could fall behind. 

"Thinking that this place isn't going to fall like every other place... That's messed up" 

"Agree to disagree" (Y,n) whispered the same time Henry retaliated. 

"You're mom's an asshole like my dad was. All you did was sneak out she could've let you out. Is it even that hard? Are there a lot of guards posted here?" Lydia asked. She could tell that the girl was trying to figure out everything there was about this place for when they let her go. 

"My mom? Oh! You mean (Y,n)? She's not my mom. She's only here because your people... You know. My actual mom is somewhere else" Henry corrected her as (Y,n) frowned a bit, how dare that little brat call her an asshole even if she had the right too? 

"I thought you said your mom died" She heard Lydia stand up and walk over to the cell bars, 

"My second mom, I mean. She's tough, Not somebody you want to mess with" 

"Sounds a lot like (Y,n)... Does she have any kids?" 

(Y,n) clenched her hands into fists, why the hell did she want to know if she had kids? Maybe Lydia's goal is bigger, maybe they already know about Alexandria but they can't get close enough to find anything more about it so she's asking questions about everyone. There's a lot of reasons why Lydia would be doing this which is why she needed to stay for a bit longer. 

"Yeah, two of them... Hey, what happened to your dad anyway?" Henry changed the subject. Good man. 

"My dad was a stupid man... My mom, though, she kept me alive, kept me safe. She's a lot like (Y,n) now that I think about it, your mom too... You don't mess with her, either" 

Now (Y,n) wanted to know who the hell her mother is. 

It was now morning and the poor woman was a bit sleep deprived but those two kids in the cellar continued to talk and talk so she just soaked in all the information she could. Lydia got done telling a story about how her mother made sure she continued to be happy and always said 'checkmate' when Lydia would win a game of Checkers. Everything seemed okay... Until Henry said how nice her mother sounded. 

"Yeah... Is your-- is your second mom the person who found you?" Lydia asked, innocently. 

"No, it was my, uh-- my dad, Ezekiel. Second dad" (Y,n) shook her head, telling the enemy names is not the right play. 

"Oh, is he with your mom? Are they here?" 

Henry no

"No, they're the leaders of another community. Where I'm from"

"Is it far? W-What's it called?" 

Henry shut up.

"It's called the Kingdom. Its probably like a days ride from here" (Y,n) stood up as fast as her legs could muster and swung open the cellar doors. Henry really was oblivious and maybe even a little stupid! She basically ran down the stairs and pulled out the keys to unlock his cell door,