Chapter thirty two

"Why do you always have to go?" Arat whimpered, tightening her grip around her mother's neck.

"She has to, Ra. It's her job to keep us safe," Anthony told his sister, wrapping his arm around (Y,n)'s. Even though he wasn't saying it out loud the young boy did not want her to leave either, all he could think about is what if one day she left and never came back. It's all anyone could think about as the others said their farewells.

"I promise I'll be back, and I'll bring Daryl back as well. I love you both so much," (Y,n) kissed her children on their cheeks and heads before standing up and facing her husband. He pulled in for a hug first, burying his face in her neck while silently praying that this wasn't going to turn into another war, why can't they live in peace for at least a year without something bad showing up?

"I love you, stay safe." He told her,

"Safe is literally my middle name," (Y,n) kissed him before walking backwards to where Carol was jumping in the back of the cart.

"Your middle name is nowhere near safe!" Carl shook his head and watched as his wife sat beside Carol and Connie. Before the gates closed she turned around waved to her family, trying not to show how worried she was about this plan of theirs. Once she hopped onto the carriage her heart ached, here she was- leaving family once again all because some fuckers want to start shit for no reason.

Maybe if Rick were still none of this would be happening, he'd probably solve this problem in a matter of three days but a small part of (Y,n) was glad that Rick wasn't here to see his friends die.

It didn't take long for them to reach the Highwaymen who sat on the side of a road. They walked the group to a flipped wagon near a bush, "We were clearing roads, spotted tracks leading here." Items were thrown all the ground as if there was a struggle but no horse or person could be found. Magna bent over and picked up a wooden chip before looking at everyone,

"It's from Hilltop." They all moved away from the wreckage to see if they could find any clues as to where they went.

"Dead didn't do this, the living did." The leader of the highwaymen, Ozzy, announced.

"The skins? You know about them?" (Y,n) asked him as he chewed on a toothpick and looked up at her from the ground,

"We got the download. Strange times with strange ways to cope. Anyway, yeah- that'd be my guess. If anyone else was out here my patrols woulda seen 'em." (Y,n) shook her head, she didn't know why they would attack people from the Hilltop, from what they knew the skins have no idea about Hilltop so maybe this was just a random attack.

"Hey. Drug 'em out this way," Daryl called out,

"Then let's go." (Y,n) said walking towards Daryl.

"We all can't go," one of the men pointed out.

"They can still be alive, though." Dianne shot back,

"But if those skin freak followed them from Hilltop, the whole community is in danger right now." A young boy with long black said. "So we split up," Michonne's words was more of an order instead of a suggestion.

"Michonne and I can go with Daryl and (Y,n). We'll track them. The rest of you, go on to Hilltop." Carol looked to the group, knowing they'd listen to their queen.

"We'll keep up our patrols around the Kingdom. Just in case," Ozzy promised standing up from his squatting position. "'Course this means you owe us a couple of movies, once we're done." He kept his eyes on Carol with a smirk,

"I'm sure I can work that out."

The four of them headed down further into the woods, following behind Daryl just as Yumiko called out to join. Their bodies were drug far into the woods, the group barely spoke to one another, afraid that one of the skins was nearby listening in.