Chapter twenty eight

The five of them ran through the dark forest with Dog in front of them, trying their best to gain as much distance from the herd and the Whisperers. As Henry tripped Connie went to pick him giving the others time to focus on their surroundings, 

"This isn't the way to Hilltop" (Y,n) panicked, not realizing that when they blurred past trees and bushes they took a wrong turn. 

"Tara made a deal with those assholes, we broke it. We ain't going back to Hilltop" Daryl told them, having (Y,n) quickly sign to Connie the best she could to tell her what they were saying since she looked away for a second and didn't see their lips move. 

"He's right, there's too many of them. Alpha would destroy Hilltop to get me back now" Lydia said, leaning over to catch her breath, 

"And why didn't you tell us there was that many of them?" Daryl stood up from kneeling and glared at the young girl who glared up at him. 

"You kept me locked in a cage, threatened to kill me. What'd you expect? I wasn't going to betray my own people!" 

"We'll maybe you should go back to 'em" (Y,n) stepped in front of Daryl and the girl, keeping him away from her while he pushed forward, "Henry didn't know what he was gettin' his ass into but you sure as hell did" As much as (Y,n) hated to admit, Daryl was right. Lydia had a chance to tell them everything, multiple chances and her not doing so almost got a love sick teenager killed along with them. 

"I thought I could go back... But I can't" Lydia whimpered once Daryl finally backed off,

"Well, you ain't coming with us" 

"Now, wait a second-" 

"We could run. Me and her. You guys go back, and- and we keep running. They can't blame Hilltop if we just disappear" Henry pleaded but Daryl only shook his head, 

"No. No way in hell" he said. 

"I agree" (Y,n) looked to the redneck before she turned to Henry, "There's no way in hell you're leaving... Without me" 

"Are you fucking serious?" Daryls anger was now turned to (Y,n) as pointed a finger in hers and Henry's face, "There is no way I'm letting either of you run away with her. Think of your kids, your husband. Think of your mom, Henry!" 

"I am, and I'm thinking that Carl would do the exact same thing , you know I'm right" Connie broke the conversation and tapped her shoulder, signing a few words. "She's right, we need to go. They're probably catching up" With those words the teenagers got up from the resting spots and started to follow Daryl but stopped once Connie waved to them to follow her instead. 

When he wouldn't comply she grabbed (Y,n)'s hand which made Henry and Lydia trail behind them along with Dog. It didn't take too long for Daryl to push down his ego and follow the rest.

By the time the group made it out of the woods it was day time and each one of them yearned to lay down in their beds behind a wall they know they're safe in. Passing a few cars on the street  Connie pointed out a small building that was used as a safehouse for Hilltop just ahead then motioned to everyone, 

"We can take the high ground from there... Yeah" Daryl said out loud making Connie pulled out her notebook and wrote, 

"Choke point" with a nod. 

"Good idea, we can get the upper hand from there if they find us. Let's go" (Y,n) agreed,  walking off with them behind her. 

"Wait, I don't understand. Why can't we just go back to Hilltop like we planned?" Henry asked either adult, 

"We don't want them following us to Hilltop, especially If they don't know where it is" (Y,n) answered, 

"And they use walkers to protect themselves, right? So we go up, someplace the walkers can't go. We separate the living from the dead, they travel in a herd and there's only like five or six of them in the middle, right?" Daryl turns around Lydia who nods in agreement, still looking worried about the situation.