Chapter 24

Brook

Gas was filling the room, dinosaurs were screeching and slamming themselves into the bars as tears fell down my face. I wanted nothing more then to be done and forget these animals, but they were still animals and to see animals in pain was the worst feeling ever.

"We need to do something." Claire said and leaned against the table, staring down at the dinosaurs. "We need to let them be free."

She reached to press the button as Owen moved forward. Maisie was holding my hand as she leaned forward to stared down at the animals.

"We have to think about this." Owen said and stared at Claire. "We're not on an island anymore. If they leave here people can get hurt."

Maisie let go of my hand as I ran my fingers through my hair and closed my eyes. I wanted to be gone of this place, preferably asleep in Owen's arms in a warm bed.

"Brook. Do you want to sit down. You've gone very pale." Zia said and grabbed my hand.

"No. I'm fine, just tired."

"I can't do it. Let's just go." Claire said as she turned away from the desk and walked towards the door.

Owen's hands wrapped around my waist as he asked if I was okay. He kissed my cheek as he pulled me into a hug, making sure not to squeeze too hard.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on his shoulder, running my fingers through the soft hair at the nape of his neck. He smelled of sweat and I probably didn't smell much better either.

"Can we please go-" I began but was cut off by an alarm sounding.

Owen spun around and I could see Maisie with her hand on the button. The cages were rising and the door was opening as the dinosaurs rushed to exit the nauseous gas.

"Maisie," I began and walked towards her and used the table to knee down next to her. "Why did you press the button?"

"If I'm living they should live too. I am here because of them." She said and stood back from the table.

"What do you mean?" I asked and grabbed her hand.

She pulled a picture out of her back pocket and showed it to me. It was a picture of two women who look exactly like her.

"She was my grandpa's daughter. She died years ago. This is me. My grandpa genetically made me using her genes to make his daughter again. That's why his partner let him, thought that it wasn't right." Maisie said and put the picture back in her pocket. "If I'm alive they should be too."

"We need to leave now." Owen said and helped me up.

I gasped in pain and tried to keep up with Owen's long legs as we made it to the front of the house. The dinosaurs were just leaving the basement and I could see Mills rushing to get in his car.

The T-Rex left the basement just as mills got in his car. I grabbed Maisie and turned her into Owen's chest as the T-Rex crushed the car. It was pretty satisfying to see him be killed by his own greed.

Once all the dinosaurs were away I turned to Owen and grabbed Maisie. I looked at Owen as I rand my fingers through Maisie's hair.

"We need to get going." Claire said. "Before the authorities get here."

"What about the girl?" Zia said.

"Maisie could you go with Zia for a minute. I need to talk with Owen."

Maisie took Zia's outstretched hand and turned to walk down the stairs with her. I turned to Owen and grabbed his hand. He was looking at me with his eyebrows furrowed because he knew what I was going to ask.

"Owen-" I began but he shook his hand.

"Brook are you sure? I don't have any experience with kids."

"Owen you're a raptor trainer."

"Yeah. I know." He said and ran his hands through his hair. "I've heard kids are worse than raptors."

I would have laughed if not for the seriousness of this conversation. Maisie had to come with us. She had nobody left.

"Owen." I began and grabbed his shoulders. She is just one kid and already has taken a liking to you. She has nobody else. Please. I can't leave her to be by herself."

"She can come with us as long as you stay with me and we're stay together." He said and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I promise that I won't leave you. I don't want to leave you anyway."

"Then let's get you to a hospital."