Chapter 19: The Big Dinner

*Melinas POV*

Thanksgiving was okay. I wish I could've spent it with Joey though. All of my other Thanksgivings have been fine but this one was okay. All I wanted was for my family to like him not hate him.

*Joeys POV*

My Thanksgiving was okay. I was disappointed that my dad only thought that Melina was nice. I wanted him to like her, a lot. I decided to invite my sister and dad down to LA to maybe have dinner with Melina.

"Hey how's about you guys fly down to California and maybe we'll have dinner with Melina one night and then you can see how amazing she is." I suggest.

"Fine," my dad sighed. "We'll leave tomorrow, go book us a flight."

I was over the moon. I had to text Melina and see if this was ok with her, I hope it was.

*hey wanna have a big family dinner so that way I can meet your parents and u can meet mine? :)*

*that sounds great but when?*

*this Saturday?*

*perfect I can't wait ;)*

The date was planned. It was just going to be me, Melina, Melina's mom, my dad, and my sister Nicole. I wasn't going to invite my mom because it wasn't the right time, and I was going to meet Melina's dad on Christmas so there was no point in making him fly to California.

The three of us started packing our things and before we knew it we landed in California and drove back to my house.

Once we got home I immediately texted Mel again.

*Hey where do u wanna have the dinner and at what time*

*um idk but like at 5 sounds good :)*

*how does my place sound? I'll get Meghan and David out of the house and I'll get a chef to come over just to make things easier*

*k I like it see u tomorrow :**

*k love you*

*love you to*

*Melinas POV*

I can't wait for tomorrow. Everything was going to be perfect. I scrolled through my notifications and headed to bed. I wanted to be energized and prepared for tomorrow.

I had breakfast and did all that boring stuff. I started to get ready at three because if I wanted to look good it was going to take me a good amount of time especially with my hair. By that I curled it. I pinned two pieces back and put in my white bow. It was one of my favorite hairstyles. For my outfit I of course wore a dress. It was a light pink dress at almost knee length. The dress had a scoop back and spaghetti straps but had a waistband so it was tighter at the waist. I paired the lovely dress with a pair of beige heels.

Now for makeup. I put on concealer, mascara, a light champagne eyeshadow, baby lips, mascara, and I filled in my brows with my brow pencil from Anastasia. Before no time we were heading to Joey's place.

*Joeys POV*

I wore something casual yet sophisticated. A nice button up top, jeans of course, and dress shoes. I fixed up my hair and got everything set. My roommates and I didn't have the biggest dining room but it would do. So on that note I set the table so all the chef had to do was cook and serve us. Nobody knew what the menu was but I was hoping that it would be good.

My dad, sister, and I finished getting ready by three thirty and the chef came at four.

It was five now and I heard the bell ring. It was Mel and her mom. I was nervous as hell.

"Hi Joey." Melina's mom greeted.

"Hey, it'll be fine," Melina comforted me.

I loved how she knew how I felt even though she had only seen me for less than 30 seconds. She planted a kiss on my cheek and we both walked over to find our relatives mingling.

Dinner was ready by five thirty. We had a three course meal. First, we had antipasta. Then, for the main course we had steak with a variety of sides. Lastly, for desert there was raspberry cheesecake.

In the middle of eating my dad asked a question, "So Melina what are your plans after high school?"

"I don't know yet, I'm definitely planning on going to college but I'm really just focusing on my YouTube career right now." she answered.

"That's nice," my dad added.

He sounded weird when he said it. I don't know what it was but it seemed like my dad just doesn't like Melina. Nicole on the other hand loved her. All she wanted to do was hang out with her more often. She was mine though and Nicole was not going to steal her even though she really wouldn't.

*Melinas POV*

Joey's dad seemed suspicious. He seemed like a nice guy but it seemed like he didn't like me but Nicole did.

"Joey where is your mom?" my mom rudely interrupted.

I coughed my food up. I was embarrassed. Joey's dad had an awkward look on his face. And Joey was twiddling his thumbs trying to find a way to explain himself. I could tell he was trying to hold back his tears. I punched my mom under the table.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" my mom apologized.

"It's fine," Joey cuts her off. "If you could just excuse me."

I threw my napkin off of my lap and ran after Joey. I freaking hate my mom. I saw Joey's door cracked and I headed into there. Joey was sitting in the corner with his hands covering his eyes. I hated seeing him in this state. I sat down beside him and wrapped my hand around his back and rubbed his shoulder. I leaned my head into his shoulder. He finally moved his hands away to reveal his tear stained cheeks and red eyes from crying.

"I'm really sorry Joey," I felt horrible even though I said nothing.

"I just wish my parents were at least like yours." he sighed.

"No you don't," I laughed trying to lighten the mood.

I looked at him and wiped away his tears.

"It'll be okay, I promise. "

I kissed him on the cheek and gave him a big hug.

"Come on let's go back downstairs."

"Okay."

cliff hanger ooo. sorry it took me so long to update. I hope you don't mind that the chapter is longer but ily and please please pleaseee just keep reading. thx ❤️