Chapter 33: The Stop of Time

It suddenly felt as if time had stopped.

Jungkook became like a puppet with no soul who moved around here and there with no will. The next day when he woke up, he felt a void in his heart, something that would forever stay that way. What was making the situation worse was that he started internally blaming himself for Taehyung's sudden departure. Had he made a move too soon? Was their physical act of love rushed which led to push the other one? Did he genuinely love him and if he did, was it so fragile for him to leave him so easily?

It wasn't any easy for the latter too. He was flooded in tears when he had arrived at Jessie's house and she quickly understood the heartbreak he was going through. While she did find it kind of unfair that Mrs Park had jumped to such extreme measures, she also understood what it meant to lose someone who you love dearly or fill in their gap once they left. She didn't ask for justifications not for stories. She provided him with shelter, both with a room and emotional support so he didn't suffer alone.

Two days went by as the two confided within the comfort of their houses. Jungkook became aware of the day only when Mrs Park informed him it was the book club's meeting. Initially, he was keeping a sharp track of time for he wanted to make the best out of the time he had left but now that didn't seem to matter. It visibly pained Mrs Park to see the condition Jungkook was in when she came early morning to remind him of the day but when she thought of the longer run, she knew what she did was right.

"Jungkook, I know you feel bad that Taehyung left so suddenly but you have to understand you have a life here, more importantly a daughter to look after. Out of all the people, you knew best that he would leave eventually. After all, he was only a visitor."

This triggered Jungkook for some unknown reason. He stood from his chair, banging his palm on the table.

"He wasn't just a visitor Mrs Park. He was more than that to me and even to Naeun. After he came into our lives, it became much more happier and beautiful. In all these years, I don't think I have seen Naeun get along so well with a complete stranger. He was more than "just" a visitor, he was family".

All this came out a bit harsh than he had intended but he didn't really have a control over his emotions for the agony he was going through. He quickly realized his slightly raised voice and the action.

"I am sorry Mrs Park. He just left so suddenly which is why I am a bit overwhelmed with emotions. And Naeun has been asking me since yesterday as to where Taehyung went." He rubbed his temple with the exhaustion caused by the lack of sleep.

"If you don't mind, could you take her over to yours. I will freshen up and join the meeting in the evening."

Mrs Park agreed to it and took the little girl with her. This gave Jungkook some alone space where he couldn't control his tears and cried again. It seemed as if love wasn't the word in his life story, if only he could use his typewriter to imprint the word and make it stay forever.

Evening fell soon and one by one, everyone gathered for the book club meeting. The atmosphere was certainly more gloomy. Everyone was aware of Taehyung's sudden departure. Despite the short stay, he had formed some unforgettable bonds with everyone in the room and it saddened them to know that Taehyung didn't even have the courtesy to say goodbye. There wasn't much food on the table as lately the supplies to the town had been cut short by the Germans. But they were trying to make the best of the little they had.

"It's been quite some time since we last ate roasted pig, hasn't it?" Mr Bang spoke trying to lighten the mood.

"Oh right, remember that one time when we secretly snuck into the commander's fort and stole one?" Jessie added joking.