Chapter 34: The Promise

Jungkook always had to act strong from a young age. Despite losing his parents long time back, he never gave up on himself, moreover he never gave up on his loved ones. But having to become a father when he himself was so young and his strong sense of responsibility to give Naeun everything best would tire him once in a while. But he never let this create a frown on his face. Even after Taehyung came into his life, he promised to give him a life full of happiness regardless of how short their encounter had been.

But tonight, it seemed as if the promise was losing its grounds. When Taehyung heard the gun shot, he was momentarily paralyzed, not being able to focus on what had just happened. Jessie was sobbing because her mind was also linking the shot to something worse. Taehyung took a minute to register the sound and spoke, "It can't be him. It can't. My Jungkook is smart and strong enough to run. It can't be."

"I have to go Jessie, I have to go". He tried to go out but Jessie held on to him explaining how dangerous it was to step out. He was reluctant but Jessie gripped on to him as if her life depended on it.

They both stood in shock. Taehyung couldn't take it. He just couldn't comprehend the idea of losing Jungkook so easily and all the emotions came in flooding. He covered his face with his hands and started crying his heart out.

"It's because of me Jessie. Because of me. If only I hadn't been a coward and departed properly, he would have been here. I am a coward Jess. A pathetic coward. All my life, all my life, all I have ever done is to run away from situations when my loved ones were being hurt or tormented. My parents were being killed, but I ran away. My unborn sister couldn't even step into the world yet I allowed her to be killed and ran away. And finally after years when I finally had someone who loved me whole heartedly, I ran away again for him to be tortured. I am the worst thing that could have happened to Jungkook and Naeun. I have yet again lost the only man I ever fell in love with."

Self blame can be our worst enemies and in the darkest hours, they become the strongest weapon to hurt us and Taehyung had already fallen victim to that. It was too much to handle for his fragile heart.

"Will you not run away this time then?"

The voice at the door turned the heads of both Jessie and Taehyung and startled them. They turned to see a panting Jungkook whose eyes were full of tears and joy.

Taehyung couldn't believe his eyes.

Jessie ran to Jungkook and hugged him tightly.

"Dear lord, thank god you are okay. For a second, we thought we lost you." She said holding him dearly.

Jungkook hugged her back but his eyes were fixated on the figure standing a few meters away from him.

Taehyung slowly walked towards him. And so did Jungkook. For a second, Taehyung felt like it was dream and if he stepped further, he would vanish from the door. He slowly moved towards him and lifted his hands to caress Jungkook's cheeks. He slowly moved his hands down towards his chest and felt his heartbeat. He needed a motion to believe he wasn't dreaming.

His subtle touch then turned into a fist and he slowly started punching Jungkook in the chest.

"I- I thought I lost you." He said gradually increasing the pace of his hand, just enough not to make it painful.

"How could you do that to me? Were you out of your mind?" He kept banging his fist on the other's chest as if he was punishing him for the reckless move. The tears from his eyes weren't stopping either.

"Do you have any idea what would have happened to me had anything happened to you?" As he spoke, his voice cracked up and though it started to hurt his own fist, he didn't stop.