CHAPTER 8

~Hanji POV~

“Kaul, Fitzgerald, Smith, Russ, Trek! Barnes and Noble, search the whole store. Look for Survey Corps.” The red-head hissed to her soldiers. Five of them nodded and ran off.

Look for Survey Corps, she said? Could she have spotted Metza?

Well, I expect she did. She probably expected us to come here sooner or later to stop here, seeing as she was one of the best soldiers the Scouts ever had. Sigh, those were the good times. We felt invincible with her, really. God forbid we remember those days when we were too confident for our own good!

I peeked around the corner and focused in on the group of gunan that surrounded Astia, putting my finger on the trigger of the gun I held just incase they spotted me. The Titans are quite interesting, really. Their builds are really strong, heavily muscular. I’ve always wondered if ALL of the titans had a strong physique, I’ve been wanting to do a study on it for some time now. But of course, every time you get close to them, they try to kill you. It’s not fair.

And to think that all of those valuable test subjects are right around the corner! If Astia was not standing right in the middle of them, I would’ve ran out there to examine them AGES ago! Well, that and the fact that this is a life and death situation….

Jon, who was ducked behind me, gave me the signal by tapping my shoulder and directing a sharp nod in my direction, clearly trying to look cool. However, in the process, a lock of his sandy hair fell into his face and covered his eyes. He looked so ridiculous, I would’ve burst out laughing if my next action wasn’t so important.

Jumping out from around the corner, I raised my gun and shot rapidly. Heads turned at the sound of my first bullet, which rocket out into the torso of a random female Titan. She collapsed on the ground. Astia was the first to react.

“Scatter! Don’t clump! Group of 6 go after her!” She dove behind the fountain into a place that I wasn’t able to see. Following their commander’s lead, all but 6 of the titans dashed away. The six that still stood still darted in my direction. I shot at the group, hitting one of them, but I was out of bullets.

Jon blind-sided the group of 5 with a retractable blade that he stored in his pocket. He slashed through 4 out of five, giving me just enough time to reload and shoot the last. He collapsed on the floor, gun flying out of his hand. Jon caught and pocketed it. Following the plan, neither of us moved, and our armed hands fell down to our sides.

~Robin POV~

I stopped staring at the weapon I held. Yeah sure, I’m pretty much screwed. But I have to try! I pulled out my phone and dialed a number.

“Metza?” A voice I recognized as Erwin said from the receiving end, skipping a greeting. “What do you need?”

“Titans are shooting at the mall, Astia is here. Send all reinforces, even the cadets. There’s around 50 of them, 5 are coming after me right now. I’m in Barnes and Noble.” Erwin fell silent for a moment.