Chapter 8

Seven years ago-The first day at college

My first meet with VEER.

"Excuse me, can you tell me where is first year B.com department" I asked a stranger girl standing in front of me, busy with her phone, almost reaching my height, short hair and toothpaste commercial types smile, which was quite intriguing, much to my surprise.

"Umm... Hey, I am heading there too, come with me, oh by the way I am Nia" she offered her hand for a shake.

"Hi, I am Kriya, nice to meet you."
"Kriya?? That's an unusual name"
"Yeah I have heard that before," I winked and she giggled.

As we moved forward to our class, I watched Nia meet at least fifty people at every single step we took, who all by the way high fived her and hugged her.

Is she famous??? I thought to myself.

"Here we are... our first year B.com classroom.... division P" Nia uttered in a broken voice and taking me out of my thoughts. We climbed four floors and now we were panting and we really needed to sit. We entered  the class and sat in the third row with Nia's friends Apurva, Muskan and Pooja.

"So, you're new to this college?" Nia asked smoothing her breath.

"I am new to the city actually. I lived in Delhi and moved here because my father wanted to join our family business here as my rest of the family as in dad's brothers live here only" she nodded her head slowly in understanding.

"Wait a second you are not new to this college?'' she laughed and shook her head making her short hair sway in every direction.
"No, we rarely have schooling system till 12th, you pass out 10th standard and bam you are into college from 11th. So I joined this college in 11th itself.

Meeting so many people on the way made sense now. I chuckled.

"So a Delhiite han!!! This should be fun, welcome to Mumbai". I nodded as our first lecturer entered.

"Good morning class, I am Ms. Annrary Charles, but you can call me Ann and you obviously know why" we all laughed at her attempt to prevent us from pronouncing her name with every possibility except the right one.

"I will be taking your lectures on business communication and I hope you all will co-operate with me, especially the guys and the back benchers...!"

"Yes miss..." " Of course miss..." Anything for you miss...." She rolled her eyes and began with our lecture.

"So how many of you guys like to read? Novels or magazines or anything worth reading basically. Raise your hands". I glanced around and found only 4 hands out of 150 students.

"Only four?? That's not at all shocking" she smiled.
"Yes, the girl with short hair and t-shirt on the third bench. Tell us your name and your preference" she said pointing towards me.

I stood up. "Morning miss, my name is Kriya and I am from Delhi"

"Woaaaaaahhh" "Oooooooooooo" "Simon go back" hahahahahahahahaha. I rolled my eyes at the elegant comments coming my way and continued...

"And I like to read novels preferably the old classics and murder mysteries".

"That is an unusual combination, can you name a few you have read?".

"In classics I have read all of Jane Austen's and William Shakespeare's work. Some other famous classics like Wuthering Heights, Catcher in the Rye. In murder mysteries I adore Agatha Christie's work". She nodded, obviously impressed by my choices and proceeded with her lecture.