Chapter 12

As soon as we reached the venue, which was a banquet hall with a lawn area completely designed and decorated according to her instructions, was looking marvelous with all the lights and flowers and colorful drapes.

She practically just jumped out of the car and ran till the first floor of the banquet hall which had a balcony area. It gave her a perfect view of the baaraati's (people in marriage procession from groom's side) entrance. Nia and Anjali were shortly behind her and I joined Mayur and Kunal at the door to welcome the baraatis and of course Swayam!

It was 8:30 now and as always Swayam was on time, not only because he was habitual but she literally threatened him to not to be late. She had to keep a fast for the day and till her 'jaimaal' ceremony she wasn't allowed to eat anything so as soon as Swayam would be here and all this would be over soon and she would be able to just jump on the counter and eat like never before.

The baaraat was crazy though...!! I saw Swayam's close friends dancing the typical 'naagin dance' on the song 'chote chote bhaiyon ke bade bhaiya' and I saw her grooving with her hands. We three also rushed among the baaraatis and danced like mad-men. We all then pulled Swayam out of his car and danced with him. Even though he was a choreographer, he danced just the way we normal people do. Saint Swayam!!! I might want to touch his feet someday. He was just perfect.

After entering the hall and greeted by Kriya's family, everyone went on with 'Dwar Pooja' ritual.

It took a lot of time.

When it was over I saw Mayur and Kunal lifting Swayam on their shoulders and walked rest of the way holding him up. They let him down on his feet when they reached the stage area and then we three moved where Kriya was standing ready to move to the stage.

Mayur went to bring a floral prop that was to be used for her entry. When he came back he held a beautifully designed long rectangular sheet made of her favorite flowers, the purple orchids with white glittery tassels hung on it. Then all four of them grabbed each corner and I walked just beside her with one hand gripping her shoulder and the other just simply holding her hand.

I looked at her from the corner of my eyes in between, she was smiling but it was not reaching her eyes, she was hiding something, I could feel it, I always did!!!

"Kriya, is everything alright?" she looked at me and I my heart froze, her eyes were surrounded by red lines... did she cry? But when?

"Yeah everything is fine, why?" I just shook my head and looked straight at Swayam who was waiting for her.

As I was reaching the stage I realized that I had to let go of her hand so I tightened my grip for some moments. When we reached the stage, Swayam held out his hand, now there was no choice... I had to let go... It was time...!!!!

Walking her to the stage and giving her hand to Swayam was the hardest thing I ever had to do... it physically hurt...!!!! I saw her eyes shining the moment he held her hand... I saw the way Swayam looked at her with all the love of the world in his eyes, she deserved it. I wanted to be happy but it was like giving a whole other part of my soul to someone else, it was supposed to be easy, I prepared for this but here I was controlling the storm rising in my eyes and swallowing the lump in my throat and smiling while looking at her.

Hurts more..!!!!

The ceremony of 'jaimala' started. Kunal and I lifted Kriya on our shoulders to prevent Swayam putting the 'varmala' around her neck. She was laughing and it was a mesmerising sight.

After few tries Swayam threw the varmala in her direction and it actually landed perfectly on her. It was her turn now... she picked the one for Swayam and now his friends were ready to lift him. He shook his head to stop them and then got down on one knee before her... I could see Kriya getting all emotional and most of all happy. She placed the 'varmala' in Swayam's neck and was about to hug him but I tugged her back. Relatives!!