Chapter 18

We were all caught in the cross-fire. Steve took most of the blow and in the end, he saved us. When we reached his body, he was still smiling. Sheila kicked him in the guts, and he fell backwards dropping down the waterfall.

We all had been injured from the bullets, but the damage wasn't too extensive. Looking out at the exit, we saw the operator of the helicopter. It was a beautiful lady who was fist pumping the air.

"Captain Van at your service", she said as she threw down ropes for us to grab onto. After climbing the rope Mary  hugged and fist bumped her. We were finally done, and this mission was over. At least that's what I thought. I had no idea of the demons that were awaiting us, but that's for another day.

On the ride back, I patched up everyone the best I could with the safety kit from the helicopter. We were divided once again. Mary, Sheila and Nicole didn't know where they stood. Dasia, Mari, Mia and I were perplexed. We were back to being the cops and they were our Targets.

I looked at Amy and she gave me a small smile before turning away. The ladies saw it and pat me on the back. There was no space on the helicopter for privacy so we figured that we could discuss what we were thinking aloud with everyone.

"Thanks for coming for us guys", the ladies stated to Amy and me.

"This sucks,"  Mari exclaimed. She sheepishly grinned at Mary and Sheila.

"Look, I know you did a lot of bad things in your past but from the time we've been detailing you, I can speak for everyone when I say that you've all changed. I want to see if we can dive deeper into your cases and help," she stated.

"What do you mean dive deeper into our cases?", asked Mary. "We're not innocent at all. There's nothing to prove or disprove, unless you can make us go back in time and stop but then we'd never have met each other. I don't know which one I prefer. I mean I did do some crazy stuff, but I'd do it all over again, if that means I could meet Sheila and you guys of course."

"That's so sweet Mary," I stated trying not to laugh. Mary had an interesting way of explaining herself and her expressions while she did it made it even weirder, but she was a fighter and a great friend to have.

"I have a plan", I began to say as I looked at everyone. "We're going to bring you guys in but explain the situation and everything that went down with Steve. With all your skills combined, you guys could have left or killed us many times, but you didn't. Hopefully, that counts for something. The plan is to reduce your original sentences for your good deeds. You'll all still serve time with the exception of Nicole. If I remember correctly, your crime was self-defense, right?" I asked her.

"Self-defense or whatever you want to call it, no one else sees it that way. My husband was a well-respected man with power. Everyone in our neighborhood knew he abused me but didn't do anything about it. They'd see the bruise marks he left after coming home drunk each night, but they remained silent and smiled with him."

"I couldn't take it anymore and when he came home one night trying to force himself on me, I cracked. I was screaming and the neighbors could hear. They could see us through the windows and they still did nothing. I saw them walking by watching the whole ordeal. The whole time I was weak and couldn't stop him."

"I decided to take matters into my own hands when I saw the blood from my undergarments. I kicked him off and ran to the kitchen, but he was too fast. I grabbed the first thing I saw and that was a knife."

"By the time he reached me all I had to do was turn around. With the impact of his speed and drunk weight, the knife slid through his stomach easily. The neighbors called the cops and that was the end of my freedom. I didn't care though."

"No one was ever going to hurt me again, at least until I met Steve, but that's my life, I guess. At least now I have you guys", she stated grasping onto the ladies' hands.

"Okay. There has to be someone who will come forward as a witness. We're going to get our team to look into it and I promise you Nicole, there's no way I'm going to let you serve time for what that man did to you," I said and brought her in for a hug.

"How does everyone feel about the plan?", I asked.

"I never thought I'd be going back to jail, but if you're sure that you can get our sentences reduced, then I'm okay with it", replied Amy.

"I guess I'm okay with it except that it's going to look bad for me as a soldier", stated Mary.

Sheila was nonchalant but she nodded her head signifying her agreeance.

"Okay then, take us home Van!", I shouted to the stunning helicopter operator.