chapter 2 ➵ quirk apprehension test

April - Present Day

Himura hastily put on her shoes and turned back to her mother. "Mom, I'm really fine," she said. "I have everything I need, don't worry."

Her mother could only stare back, with a look of visible concern laced on her tired features. "Are you sure? I'm only concerned because you woke up especially early today. Do you have your notebooks? A pencil?"

Himura sweat-dropped. "Hai, hai. I have them."

Her mother began to shrug her beige coat atop her shoulders. "You really didn't need to prepare breakfast for me, Ko-chan," she stated.

"It's really okay. You're working very hard for the both of us," the peach-haired girl cooed. "I'm just repaying the things you've done for me. And besides, if I don't cook for you, you won't eat anything until you come back from work! That's really unhealthy."

"I'm your mother," she huffed. It was her way of telling Himura, 'Hey, I'm the mom here. Not you!'

Himura expressed a warm smile as she opened the door to their apartment. "Ochako's probably waiting for me," she said, giving her mother a brief wave. "Ittekimasu! " See you later!

Her mother averted her gaze and reached for her bag. "Itterashai." Take care.

⁎ ⁎ ⁎

"Oh! Koemi, it's that plain-looking boy that you were worried about!" chirped Uraraka, startling her friend.

Plain-looking?! Wow, I didn't expect her to call him that, thought Himura, looking at the green-haired boy who stood in front of Class 1-A. I was hoping she would say something else, but I guess her describing him as that was quite Ochako-like.

The boy turned around, also startled by Uraraka's statement. "O-Oh!" he exclaimed. "It's you two! From the entrance exam!"

"Good morning," greeted Himura. She smiled sheepishly. "Good job on the exam!"

"Yeah! Your punch was amazing!!" Uraraka began to swing her fist in an up-and-down motion, mimicking what the boy had done back at the practical exam. She began to chant 'break' over and over again.

The boy stumbled for words as he looked at the peach-haired girl. "O-Oh! Well, I ... It was thanks to you that I, um.."

Confused, she blinked voluntarily. "What do you mean?" she politely inquired, which made the boy go stiff again.

"Uh, I mean..." he paused, his eyes looking anywhere but her. "Well, that's because..."

Oh, I think I'm making him uncomfortable, Himura thought to herself, and decided to change the topic.

"What do you think we'll be doing today?" she queried. "Ochako and I think that we're just going to attend the entrance ceremony and the orientation."

"I wonder what our teacher's like?" mused Uraraka, grinning all the while.

"Go somewhere else if you want to play at being friends," an eerie voice stated, surprising the four students that stood inside of the classroom. The two girls turned around. Behind them was a black-haired man, glaring up at them from his yellow sleeping bag.

Himura struck the man as familiar, but couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"This is the hero course," he uttered, sleepily.

The yellow cocoon man stood up and eventually came out of it. "Okay, it took eight seconds before you went quiet. Time is limited. You kids are not rational enough."