Chapter twelve

That night we sat around the small table in the dining room. Sam made a delicious stew. It wasn't gourmet but it satisfied my burning hunger. We talked and laughed for most of the night until Sam had passed out on the lounge leaving Rose and I alone to talk.

"What were you doing out in the forest today ?" I said staring evenly into her eyes. She looked down and sighed. " I followed you" I didn't speak for a few moments. I couldn't. My heart was racing, does she know what happened with James ? Panic overlapped my happy, calm mood and began eating away at my insides.

"Wh..wha..What did you see?" I stuttered.

She looked down at the ground in guilt " everything " I stood up straight making the chair fall backwards. I paced over to the kitchen window, nervously running my hand through my hair. "no..no ..NO" I mumbled to myself " this can't be happening, she can't know! They can't know!" I said to Lynn accidentally out loud. "Cant know what?" I jumped and looked up to see Sam standing there looking at me with a confused expression. I looked at Rose who looked guilty. I began pacing frantically
"nothing" I said quickly before returning to my frantic state. Rose looked down.

" James is Carlees mate" Rose stated. Sam looked annoyed "and" he snapped. "James is Max's son. " she said , looking at Sam with uncertainty.

He stiffened and let out a low dangerous growl " that son of a... " "Stop!" I said and everyone froze. My knees gave way and I crumpled to the floor. I lay there on my side sobbing hysterically. The pain in my heart felt as if it was tearing me apart from the inside out. I restrained myself from screaming as Rose leaned over, stroking my hair soothingly while Sam, in his rage punched a wall leaving a fist size hole.

" how about you do something more productive and help me get her onto the bed" Rose snapped impatiently. That had Sam pausing mid swing and look down ashamed. " I'm sorry" he mumbled as he gently lifted me up and placed me on the small rickety cot. I lay there. My insides burning with the need to be with James but my heart was breaking from hurt and shame. My mate. My one and only. My true love. Was the son of a rogue.