Chapter three

Picture of Temi above

The following day, when Audu dropped her off, Ogechi didn't feel anxious or apprehensive; instead, she was filled with happiness and excitement. Part of her joy stemmed from a dream she had, where Chike appeared, not as the dying figure, but as a comforting presence. The other reason for her excitement was that Evelyn would be joining them at school that day.

Evelyn was the one person in whom Ogechi could truly confide and trust. Their bond was unique, as it was uncommon to witness such a close relationship between a teacher and student in Nigeria. When they were alone, Ogechi refrained from using any formal titles for Evelyn, as they believed it created unnecessary barriers between them.

Evelyn was a corps member when they met and that was when she was in jss2. After serving she had retained her job as an English language teacher. She remembered how Evelyn was the only person to get through her and she needed someone to pour all her heart out to after her brother finally deserted her.

"Hey" she felt someone tap her, when she turned and saw Victor she groaned internally. " I've been calling you"

"Sorry, my mind was not here" she faked an apology though it still sounded like a real one.

Victor Ayeni has been one of the guys crushing on her though the numbers has dropped drastically. However, Victor remained determined to pursue a romantic relationship with her. Unfortunately, that will never come to fruition due to several reasons. Firstly, Victor displays an arrogant demeanor. Secondly, his physical appearance can be likened to that of an ape, without exaggeration. Thirdly, he struggles with a hot temper. Fourthly, his ambition knows no bounds. Fifthly, he happens to be close friends with Ezekiel. Lastly, his identity is none other than Victor Ayeni.

"Are you going to class" he asked as he joined her in heading to the classroom.

No, I'm going to the toilet. "Yes I am" she smiled sweetly.

He nodded and they kept walking to class in silence.

"Did you just come to school now" he asked again

Ogechi clenched her teeth in frustration. Was he not noticing the school bag strapped to her back? She forced herself to nod in response, gripping her school bag tightly, desperately attempting to maintain her composure and prevent herself from exploding if he asked another question.

Thankfully, when they got to ss2 block it was time for assembly so she managed to slip into the crowd leaving the block.

As she reached the assembly hall, Ogechi realized that the principal had already commenced his speech. Covenant Secondary School was unlike any other Nigerian secondary school; it catered primarily to the affluent. Their assemblies took place in a hall furnished with chairs for the students to sit on, while the staff members stood.

The school operated on a hierarchical system, divided into three sections. The first section consisted of the elite class, comprising students whose parents possessed immense wealth. The second section comprised the middle class, where students' parents could afford the school fees without facing financial strain. Lastly, the third section was designated for the underprivileged, students who were on scholarships.

The caste system was pervasive throughout the school, extending even to the students' hangout areas during breaks.

In the assembly hall, the divisions were clearly demarcated by the arrangement of seats. The hall was partitioned into three sections, each represented by a distinct color. The right side consisted of black seats, symbolizing the average class. The middle row featured ash-colored seats, reserved for the high-class students. On the left side, there were more black seats allocated for the scholars, representing the low-class students on scholarships.