Chapter seventeen

This chapter is dedicated to maramartha for her awesome comments.

                 ********

4:00 PM
Saturday Evening

The sounds of the drums could be heard from the route they took signifying the beginning of the festival. They could hear the joyful noise of the villagers against their beating hearts. The silence amongst them was unnerving, their thoughts all scattered around.

"Are you sure you know the way out?" Sharon asked as she adjusted her bag in her right hand.

Temi nodded but she had uncertainty written all over her face.

Gospel scoffed, "it doesn't seem like you do." He stated.

Temi glared at him, "if you do, why don't you show us the way?"

"I never said I did..."

"Okay cut it off you two." Gloria started, "we've not gone halfway and there's already misunderstanding." She glanced between Gospel and Temi, "if you want us to get out of here alive we need to work together."

She glanced at Zubby. "Do you have an idea?" He shook his head.

"I think I can remember a bit" Olamide spoke up. "I'm not too sure..."

"Temi wasn't too sure too." Ehiosu said adjusting his backpack.

"Can we just go, it's getting late and frankly we need to be out of this village before night fall, remember we don't have any source of light." Ezekiel said pulling out the handle of his box. "Olamide or Temi lead the way."

                     ******

Mezie watched with anxiety as the dieners moved Atinuke's body into the morgue, somehow he knew it wasn't over, something was coming, a storm was brewing and if they are not careful they will be gone with it. Atinuke did not deserve to die neither did Iverem and Nanret. He wondered what will eventually happen when they get back to Abuja the next day, that's if they ever make it. How would they explain the death of three students. With his hands hidden in his pockets, he watched Obidike and Miss Kashimana converse with one of the guys who worked there.

"You know this is strange right?" Victor's voice came from beside him.

"What is strange?" He corked his brows. He didn't even know why he was talking to Victor after the secrets he and Ezekiel kept from him.

"All the girls dead had something to do with Ezekiel. Iverem was his secret girl friend, Atinuke was his cover up girl friend and Nanret had a fling with him, he was eventually going to date her sha."

Mezie narrowed his eyes at Victor. "What are you trying to say? Ezekiel is everything but a killer..."

Victor scoffed cutting him off. "You don't know Ezekiel like I do."

Mezie frowned and then shook his head in disagreement, facing him, he said. "I know you feel like this is your chance to turn everything around and make it fall in your favour. Have you thought about the fact that CSS might be shutting down when we go back with three dead students, one of which is an Al Hassan or the fact that you might not be alive to be the most popular guy in CSS?"

Victor scowled, of course he knew Mezie wasn't dumb to not figure out he had always wanted Ezekiel's spot. "You think I've not thought about all that? Why do you think I'm standing next to you and talking to you even though I know you're mad at me? I might want to take over his position but what I just said is true, think about it. Every single person dead had something to do with Ezekiel, it's a pattern and if whoever is the killer is  really following that pattern who do you think is next?" He raised his brows coming to stand in front of Mezie with his hands tucked into his pocket.