Chapter eleven

Photo of Mezie above.

*Pardon any error you see, wasn't able to edit it before posting.*
This chapter is dedicated to pivot01

                     ****

The loud laughter coming from the group made it unbelievable that they had lost someone, that they had seen a dead body of their classmate the previous day.

Maybe that's their own way of coping.

The group consisted of Temi, Ogechi, Olamide, Kunle, Chidimma, Itoro, Ehiosu and Obidike who was leading them to the only source of borehole water in the community, his house.

Mezie trailed behind them with his left hand in his pocket and the right holding a twenty litres Jerrycan with a face void of all emotions. He wanted space from the house. He didn't want to be anywhere near the house for now and when Obidike came to the house and offered to take them where they would fill their buckets and twenty litres Jerrycans he jumped at the idea of following them.

He listened halfheartedly as Obidike went on and on about how the village festival worked and how he was so glad to be part of the winning masquerade team and other stuffs Mezie didn't want to hear.

He wondered how they could all laugh at Itoro's story of being scared of masquerades. Iverem just died, no scratch that she was murdered. Foaming by the side of her mouth was not a normal death neither was bleeding. His jaw clenched at the thought of her and his palm formed a fist inside his pocket.

Ogechi took notice of Mezie lagging behind so she slowed her pace till they were side by side.

"What do you want?" He bit out glaring at her.

She shrugged nonchalantly. "I just wanted to walk with you"

"I don't need your company. I'm not lonely"

"I never said you were" she stared at the group in front of them. Temi didn't notice her disappearance as she was busy clinging to Olamide's left arm. Olamide held both his Jerrycan and Temi's bucket in his right hand. She watched as they stole glancing at each other, blush then face the group pretending to be listening to what Obidike was saying.

Obidike. Her eyes danced around him as she tried to figure him out, he was eccentric to begin with and he knew when to show up at the house. She wouldn't say she hasn't caught him staring at her secretly since he got to the house early this morning. She wouldn't be here if not for Temi dragging her as a third wheel to her promiscuous date and Chike couldn't come along because he was a bit under the weather which she found strange. 

"....are you even listening to me" Mezie scowled as he sized her.

"I'm sor...." Just as she was about to move her gaze from Obidike to Mezie, their eyes locked.

Obidike was looking her way, his head was slightly turned to the back. She felt her heart beat increase as her nightmare/ memory of her first night in the village came flashing by. She almost lost her stance from the strong pounding in her head. She quickly found something to hold on to which was Mezie's arm. She felt like something was trying to claw out of her head but something was holding it back, no, something was pushing it back. She knew it had to do with her first night here and she knew that whatever it was she needed to remember it and Obidike who had already turned back to the group was the key somehow.

Either he knew what happened to her or he saw what happened to her or he was the person who hit her from behind. The clawing increased.

Did he know about Iverem's death.