Chapter Eighteen

Please 🙏 I need you guys to nominate this book as the best mystery thriller in the Nigerian readers choice award TNC, I know my updates have been coming in snail pace but I'll really appreciate it if you do.
https://my.w.tt/EIvs598S67

Dedicated to tceetcee01

"Who did you see?" OJ asked letting her guard down a little.

He pushed his glasses in a bit as he shifted awkwardly from one foot to the other. "I'm not sure..."

"For Christ sake! Just tell me who you saw." She snapped cutting him off. She knew he was deliberately trying to beat around the bush.

"Obidike. I think I saw him." Her feet almost gave up but she steadied herself and continued to listen to him. "Our first night here, I couldn't sleep. The ground was really uncomfortable and I was in a strange place so every little sound woke me up."

She nodded for him to keep going.

He pushed the rim of his glasses and continued. "I heard footsteps that night. At first, I ignored it thinking someone went to ease himself or so but when I listened closely it wasn't coming from inside the house so I ignored it again."

"I don't get." OJ shook her head.

Kunle nodded and decided to elaborate. "I think someone left the house. I fell asleep in between but then a noise woke me up later on. I decided to check what the noise was about so I unlocked the door and found Ogechi lying unconscious on the porch when I raised my head to check for who brought her I only saw the persons back before he dived into the bush."

OJ's face fell, she was anticipating something more. "So why do you think it was Obidike?"

"When I'm not putting on my glasses I rely on people's structure, walking step and voice to identify them. When I saw Obidike the next day I knew it was him."

She nodded her head and took a step closer to him, all sense of guard down. "I'm confused." She said with her finger on her chin. "Why?" Slowly things she thought she had forgotten, things that were so little at that time came back to her and she gasped. "We need to find Obidike!" She took his hand in hers and began to pull him away from the market square.

"What's going on?" Kunle had a confused expression but OJ answered none of his questions. He pulled her to a halt, "if you want to find him we have to stay here and watch the masquerades, he's going to show up. It's his first time partaking, he wouldn't want to miss it." He squeezed her palm in his, assuring her of finding him.

The clearing of a throat brought them out of their thoughts as they stared at the intruder. Itoro raised a brow as he glanced between them but they still didn't  take notice of their locked fingers.

He cleared his throat again, this time louder than before as he stared at their hands, as if just realizing they had been holding hands the pulled away quickly. Itoro smirked at and patted Kunle's shoulder. "My guy, my guy, you don start to dey shoot shot."

Kunle choked on his spit and tried to avoid making eye contact with OJ as he swore profanities in his mind.

OJ frowned as she noticed Itoro was having fun making Kunle uncomfortable. "We were discussing serious matters before you interrupted." She glared at him.

"Really?" Itoro asked with wide eyes, feigning interest. "What exactly? I would love to hear at least it's better than staying with Moses and Chidimma watching them be all lovey like they're on a date." He gagged staring at where they were holding hands and watching the new masquerade perform.