Chapter twenty one

This chapter is dedicated to lissabae1 and ur_favouritexx it wouldn't have been possible without them❤️

Itoro found himself venturing into the bush despite his crippling anxiety for the dark. His brows furrowed in deep thoughts.

He had to find him. With Mr Festus dying, he had a hunch of who the killer is.

The rustling of leaves brought him out of his thoughts, reminding him of his phobia for darkness. He clenched his fist that was tucked in deep down his trouser pockets and scanned his environment, waiting for someone or something to appear. Nothing came but the crippling feeling he had wasn't gone either.

He continued his walk staring blindly through the sides of his eyes. The crunchy sound of stones behind him brought him to a stop, with heartbeats picking up and sweaty fisted fingers, he knew someone was there with him. His breath came in small spurts, hot and nervous. He swallowed nervously and picked up his pace.

Maybe he was just being paranoid. No one was behind him, he kept chanting in his head. But who was he kidding, the footsteps behind him was getting closer, too close for his liking. He slowed down a bit, clenching his fist tighter, ready to swing at whoever it was.

As the cold fingers curled on his shoulder, he swung his punch immediately, sending the person to the floor with a thud and a groan.

"Ogechi!" Mezie shouted and rushed towards her. "Are you okay?" She nodded but Mezie was having none of it. "Where does it hurt?" He asked surveying her body for any injuries.

Itoro watched with horror as ogechi held her face. He would have never done that to a girl but somehow this village had the ability to bring out the worst in people.

"I'm fine." Ogechi managed to say with her eyes squeezed tight.

After a long examination of her face, he turned to Itoro, fuming. "What the hell is wrong with you!" Mezie screamed and he found himself rushing towards them.

"I didn't mean it, I really didn't."

"She could have a concussion." Mezie said shooting daggers at him.

"I'm sorry, I'm so so sorry. I don't know what is wrong with me." He ran his hand on his head.

"You can't just go around swinging punches at everybody." Still glaring at him, Mezie pulled Ogechi to him, caressing her cheeks.

Ogechi pushed Mezie away gently and then stood up dusting the back of her leggings, making sure not to wince from the injury Mr Festus left her with. She could feel the warm liquid sipping from the wound on her arm, falling down had probably increased it. She was grateful Mezie couldn't see it since it was dark. Chike's shirt did come in handy.

Comporting herself, she spoke. "It's no big deal Mezie, he has apologized already. You're overdoing it."

"What happened to you?" Mezie stood up, staring down at her.

"I don't understand." She replied clearly confused.

"Mezie..." Itoro tried to speak but Mezie shut him up.

Slowly like a predator, he moved towards Ogechi. Still confused as to why Mezie had asked her that question she stood her ground.

Standing face to face, he quickly pulled her right sleeve up.

Ogechi pushed him away and glared at him, quickly pulling the sleeves down."What do you think you're doing?"

Mezie started."Why is there..."