3. The car ride

Gulf gets up on his feet and brushes off the dust from his pants. He spares a glance at Mew and immediately regrets his decision as he gets flustered at Mew's 'wide-eyed-concerned' look. "I'm sorry. I gotta run." Gulf looks at anywhere but Mew, joins his hands, bows down swiftly, straightens and starts to hurry away. Fuck you, Gulf. He mind-slaps himself, and increases his pace. He stops only when he hears the same honking sound beside him, and then there's Mew with his sunglasses on, smiling sweetly at Gulf. Don't smile like that. Gulf starts fidgeting with his hair, twirling a strand between his fingers nervously.

"Come on, I will give you a ride to the university." Mew says, a boyish grin on his face.

"How do you know where I need to go?" Gulf asks.

"Well, your uniform. I study in the same university." Mew says matter-of-factly.

"Ohh."

"C'mon, get in. I'll give you a ride. You look really unwell. Do you want me to take you to the dispensary?"

"No I am perfectly okay. I just umm, feel hot." Yes, I feel hot when I see you. Why the fuck though? Gulf bites down on his tongue to stop these words from escaping his mouth.

"Well, if you insist. But I don't think you'll make it to your class on time. So, if you want me to drop you off to your building, you can tell me."

Gulf looks at the watch. Shit. I'm so late. I hope Mild will save a seat for me. What should I do?

"Then, thank you so much." Gulf opens the car door and sits beside the driver's seat.

"Shall we?" Mew asks, and starts the engine. Eva Cassidy starts crooning in the background. Oh, P'Mew listens to slow paced songs too. His personality looks like that of a rockstar. There's an awkward silence in the car, and Gulf can feel it. It's just awkward from my side. Gulf thinks and shakes his head. "So, what is your name?" Mew asks him.

"Earth. I'm Earth." Gulf clears his voice and swiftly glances at Mew, to see him smiling and nodding. Damn you Gulf. You just used your dad's name. This is not good.

"Well, I didn't get to introduce myself. So, I am Mew Suppasit Jongcheveevat, and I am into music, literature and political science. I chose Music as my doctoral research. What about you?"

"I'm your junior then. I've chosen literature and political science as my major, and sports science as my additional subject." Gulf manages to say, without looking at Mew.

"Nice then! By the way, your face seems familiar." Mew says.

He has noticed! "Bar." Gulf manages to say.

"Bar?"

"Yes, I have seen your Nebula's performance at a bar. You are quite good."

"Ohh you know me then. That bar belongs to my friend Golf." Mew says and pulls up. "We've arrived."

"Thank you so much P'Mew." Gulf says, and without turning back to look at Mew, he runs away towards his class.

Watching Gulf's reducing back, and his figure becoming smaller and then a speck and then thin air, Mew smiles. Strange kid. And cute. Wait, what did I just think? I need to get a grip. Mew mind-slaps himself. Who is this kid? Many questions to answer and to be answered..

---

"Here. Here!" Mild shouts from across the classroom. "Just in time!" He smiles widely when Gulf sits next to him, and at that very moment, his face crinkles with concern. "What happened to you bro? You look like you blushed an year-ful of quota." Mild Asks.

"Nothing happened."

"Hmph if you say so." Mild sighs and shakes his head. He gets up from his chair, opens the windows and returns to his seat beside Gulf. "Hey, I heard that God of drums is your new neighbor!"

Dammit, nosy Mild knows everything.

"Attention boys and ladies! Good morning to the first subject class. I'm Deen, your English teacher." Deen says loudly. Everyone applauds for the pleasant teacher.

Gulf gets immersed in thoughts; each one of them revolving around Mew. It'll be okay. And yes, first class is going to be a success. Yes! No need to see P'Mew again and hide from P'Mew again.

Just as he thinks this has been just a coincidence; lost in his thoughts, he gets sharply pulled back to the earth by a familiar voice:

"Hello. I'm here for a survey."

Holy fuck. P'Mew again.