Start Of Third Year

Chapter 1: Summer Diggory

When the ceremony for the first year students begins, I take place at the giant dining table in the Great Hall. Last summer I spent at the house of Oliver Wood, a Gryffindor and my best friend. After my family abandoned me, because I appear to be a Slytherin, his parents took care of me. I couldn't be more grateful to have the Wood's in my life.

Oliver and I spent a lot of time at the river nearby his house. Late night talks and dreaming is probably all we have done in those two months. I loved it. But it's true what he said: I should try to make more friends in my own House. The only person in Slytherin that I see as my friend is Angela Rhine, my roommate in this big castle.

Ever since the first day at Hogwarts she has been by my side. Only she never understood why I got along with a lot of Gryffindors, especially Harry Potter. As almost every Slytherin she believes that Harry is the enemy, but she's kind-hearted, I know that deep down she doesn't mind. I have to tell you that Harry and I are not exactly best friends but I like him and sometimes we have great conversations. Probably my best friends at this school are Oliver Wood and Neville Longbottom. I don't count my brother, Cedric Diggory, a Hufflepuff.

We've always been so close, but from the moment the Sorting Hat announced me as a Slytherin I saw something changing in his eyes. As if he didn't know me at all. I love my brother but it hurts. I hope this year will have a better beginning then other years, for some reason I doubt that. On the train ride to Hogwarts, the Hogwarts Express stopped abruptly and windows froze shut. Since Sirius Black, a mass murderer, escaped from Azkaban, Hogwarts is guarded by dementors. They were also the reason that the train stopped.

I never felt something like that before. It was cold, very cold and it felt like there was no more life in me. Luckily, I was sitting in a coupe with Oliver and the Weasley twins.

The doors from the great hall open and behind Professor McGonagall, a group of first year students walks in. I hope they have a better time here than I do. I look around the table and realise I'm sitting next to Pansy Parkinson. I think of all Slytherins, she probably hates me the most. Still don't know why though.

Angela once told me that she heard Pansy say she thought that I was in love with Draco Malfoy. I mean, seriously? The son of a wizard who followed He Who Not Must Be Named. Never. Although, I know it isn't Draco's fault what his father did, but he's been bullying me for years now. How could I fall in love with him?

I am too focused on my own thoughts when I realise the ceremony is over. I wanted to make a new start and already missed the beginning of a new school year. Great.

I'm still sitting at the table when groups of people run out of the great hall. I should go back to my House but only the thought of it makes me shiver. When I finally decide to stand up and go back to my House I bump into Oliver. I apologize for running into him like that. He knows like no other how clumsy I am.

'I think Gryffindor got some good new first year students, they all look brave enough to be here and smart enough to not get into trouble.' He laughs and I laugh with him. An honest laugh for the first time since I am back here.

'I think you just wish they are not getting into trouble, since you are going to be Head boy.' I take a look at his pin that says 'Head Boy' and wonder if I would ever make it to Head Girl. Probably not, but I can dream.

'Well to be honest, some of them remind me of Harry and Ron when they were first year students, so I am praying.' He laughs with his own thought and then instantly stops, like something scared him.

When I see his look over my shoulder I turn around and see the reason of his weird behaviour. Draco Malfoy. Who else? Draco looks at me with a smirk like he always does, as if I am worth nothing. After him stand Crabbe and Goyle, his best friends. I call them his slaves, because that's actually what they are. And of course Pansy Parkinson stands behind them, I already have no hope for this year. Pansy walks over to me with an evil laugh on her face.