Two letters

Chapter 17: Summer Diggory

There had been no sign of Sirius Black in the castle anymore. Even after days of searching, the ghosts hadn't found him. Some of us doubted that he was still around, but others were sure of it. He was after Harry. Everyone knew that.

Angela was scared although she didn't want to admit it, she thought she would fail if she ever had to defend herself but I promised her that it would never happen. I know she is afraid that someday, a new war would originate, and she would have to fight.

I promised her that I would protect her but I didn't believe Sirius Black would start a war. That seemed like something for the Dark Lord, wherever he was.

'I brought you some pie, I'm not sure you can consider it as a healthy meal but there was nothing else', I give Angela a plate and she eats slowly from it. She hadn't come out her bedroom for days, as if being alone would make her safer. For that reason I hadn't told her about Sirius Black who got into Neville's bedroom.

I wasn't sure what it was about Black that didn't scare me. The whole school seemed afraid of him and I was too, a little. It was only different, for some reason I couldn't believe he would have betrayed Harry's parents. Harry himself seemed also a little more relaxed about the whole Sirius Black situation although he was after him. It's like he knew more than he wanted to tell me.

'They are killing Buckbeak today', Angela whispers between two bites. She gets my attention immediately. 'Really?' I ask shocked and think about Draco who still hadn't talked to me. The days we didn't talk to each other felt like I was living through hell. Although I didn't like to admit it, I realise now that he was right. He just wanted to protect me.

How could I believe that Draco Malfoy who would surprise me with gifts and an evening between fairy lights, wouldn't love me? As if he would do that for any girl. I needed to talk to him but hadn't seen him in days. Like he was hiding too. Angela nods when she sees the shock on my face.

'It wasn't Draco's choice', I stare in front of me, talking more to myself than to her. 'I figured that', she admits, which surprises me. 'You did?' I look confused and she laughs a little.

'Even he was acting too sad about the news, to not feel guilty', she gives her plate to me and I put it on her desk. 'You should come out of your bed, Black hasn't been seen in days and the schoolyear is almost over'.

'That is why I'm studying for my tests', she raises a book from her bedside table and hands it over to me.

I read out loud: 'Plants and why they can be useful' I laugh about it and she rolls her eyes. 'It's interesting', she argues before putting it away again. 'You would be great friends with Neville', I stand up and walk over to my own desk.

'Don't even make me think about that', she sounds annoyed. Angela normally liked everyone, but for some reason she hated Neville, I still hadn't figured why.

'Are you talking to Draco again?' She asks after a while. I take our green notebook out of the drawer and stare at it without answering her question. 'Ah, the book', she sighs and gets up. 'Have you written much in it?' she bends over me curious.

'Not really', I admit and hope Dumbledore would be satisfied with whatever we wrote in it. 'You should talk to him', she whispers while sitting on my bed with my pillow between her arms. I look up surprised.

'If only I knew where he was', I flip through our notebook and smile at the things he wrote. Was I so stupid to think this was over? Everything was just beginning. I hope he's still thinking about it that way. 'What went wrong between you two?' Angela asks. I knew that I couldn't tell her the whole truth but I could try to explain it in a simple way. After all she is my best friend.