The Notebook

Chapter 5: Draco Malfoy

Writing in a notebook. How silly. I can't believe that's our punishment. I have way better things to do then hang out with her and write. What do we even need to write about? He just wanted us to hang out together and I'm not sure why.

After all, I hope he keeps his promise and doesn't tell my father about this. I have trouble enough. A few minutes ago, Summer came into the common room, she stayed way too long with Dumbledore after I had left, and I wonder if they were talking about me. Probably he asked her if I was still annoying her. That old man will never believe me.

I'm done going after her, that doesn't mean I have to be nice all of a sudden. Now she is studying with Cheryl, I still wonder how those two became friends. Can a friendship be based on heaving a passion for studying? Everyone knows that Cheryl is not the nicest Slytherin and Angela follows her like a dog. But I can't imagine Summer following someone.

I take my books from my table and stand up. 'Where are you going?' Crabbe looks up from his notes. 'I'm going to sleep, and if you or Goyle snore again tonight I may choke you with a pillow.' 'I guess your punishment must be very bad', he says and I see him rolling his eyes.

I walk towards him and take him by his robes. 'What did you say?' I hiss. Yes, it's a threat. I'm not even sure why I'm this mad. 'Nothing', he quickly replies. I release my grip on him, take my books again and walk to the stairs.

'What was your punishment again?' I hear Cheryl ask Summer. 'Apparently Dumbledore wants us to be friends, now we have to hang out sometimes and write some stuff in a notebook. It's weird', she sounds calm as if she doesn't care about the assignment.

'God bless you if you have to work with him. You must feel horrible', Cheryl notices. How dares she talk about me like that. I want to run downstairs again and yell to her but then I will be caught. 'Maybe it's not that horrible', I hear Summer sigh. I breath out again, not noticing I've hold my breath that whole conversation.

She doesn't hate to work with me on this. Why do I feel hopeful? I walk up the stairs and go to my bedroom. Maybe she was right earlier, maybe we can work this out.

(time skip)

The next day it's almost noon before I see Summer for the first time. Of course she is hanging out with Oliver again. I heard from some other Slytherins that she has spent the summer at Wood's house and I'm not sure why that thought gives me such a horrible feeling. They're friends. But now we have to become.

I'm sitting on a bench in the open space outside waiting for Wood to go away from Summer. This morning I realised that I still had an empty notebook I got from my mother which would be perfect for our little project. I want her to keep it, maybe because I hope she writes in it and I can read her thoughts.

As a starter I wrote a small quote on the first page and hope she will like it. This waiting takes too long so I decide to walk towards them. Oliver sees me coming from far and whispers something to Summer who turns around to look at me. She doesn't has this friendly face she normal has and I wonder if something is wrong.

'Can I talk to you, Diggory', I feel like I screw up already. Calling her by her last name isn't that polite as you would think. I know she hates that name. 'I mean, Summer.'

Wood stands up and walks towards me. 'If you have decided again to come after her then you have to face me too, Malfoy'. He is taller than me and looks down at me. He makes me angry but I know I can't explode where Summer is, I want to prove something to her, and myself. Yesterday she asked me if I was okay, and I was arrogant to her.

Dumbledore wants me to believe that I need her and as much as I hate that old man, maybe he could be right. I could use a friend like her, but how could I be a good friend?