Christmas

Chapter 13: Summer Diggory

A week later it was almost Christmas and unlike other years I stayed at the Castle. Oliver joined me because he wanted to spend his last Christmas as a student with his friends. The corridors are empty, just like every classroom. Angela left to celebrate Christmas with her brother and her father, so the only friends I had in the common room were Cheryl and Blaise.

When Draco found out I would stay at school, he asked his father to stay also, but Lucius wouldn't let him. I hadn't expect something else. After everything that happened last week I was glad we had a break from all the studying. Harry was feeling better again and Oliver had left his bathroom four days after the match, which surprised me.

I missed Angela her company at night and I missed Draco too. The castle was quiet, which I didn't mind, I was happy to be able to hear my own thoughts again. I sat in the library for a few hours, reading another muggle-book Hermione left behind for me. I didn't feel like searching some company. After all, company found me.

'Summer?', a male's voice asks. Justin turns the corner and looks at me confused which I don't understand. 'Hi, Justin', I greet him and point to a chair in front of me. He sits down, holding an old spell book. We are silent for a moment but I can tell by the look in his eyes that something is wrong.

'Are you feeling good?' I ask and close my book. 'I'm sorry, I'm feeling fine, I just thought that ...', but he stops talking and waves his comment away. I know what he was about to say. 'You thought I would spend Christmas with my family again?' I guess and he nods.

'I'm glad Cedric and I talk again, but I don't want to see my parents', I say uncomfortable, 'they didn't even ask if I wanted to spend Christmas with them', I whisper. He needs to think about what to say.

'I understand that you don't want to go home', he says quiet and opens his book. I stare at him for a few minutes. 'Why aren't you with your family?' I ask curious. He lifts his head up and sighs. 'I just like to be here, it feels safe', he finally answers. 'And home doesn't feel safe?' I ask, guessing again.

'Not always', he whispers. I nod understanding at him and he looks down at his hands. 'Hannah is here also, if you would like to join us this evening?' Justin smiles a little and I shake my head. 'That sounds great but I already have plans. If you want to, you can join some Gryffindors and I', I ask hopeful because I feel bad about declining his offer. I can tell he is not mad. 'That seems fun, I'll ask Hannah', he says and reads his book again.

(time skip)

On my way to the common room, I can't but feel nervous. Here, in the dungeons everything feels strange and cold. I walk into the Common room and find Blaise on the couch.

'Do you want to spend Christmas evening by the fireplace?' he asks when he sees me. Just like with Justin I need to reject his offer. 'But you can join us if you want to', I smile at him but he shakes his head.

'I don't think that is a good idea, but thank you for offering'. We sit at the fireplace for a moment, staring into the green fire when he starts talking again. 'So you and Draco', He begins and I look surprised at him. 'What about Draco and I?', I ask amazed.

'Nothing, I just think I was wrong about something I said before. Maybe Pansy was right and does Draco love you', he says and my heart skips a beat. It takes a while before I regain control of myself. 'Why do you think that?' I ask it as if I don't care, but Blaise knows better.

'The way he looks at you. The way he held you during the match', he whispers. I nod because I have nothing else to say. Out of nowhere I hear a girls voice complaining as if she's in pain. Now that our House is almost empty everything echoes twice as hard. I look shocked at Blaise and some other Slytherins who are younger than us stare at each other.