Night In The Corridor

Chapter 9: Summer Diggory

After walking in silence for a few minutes we end up in the corridors. Draco was right, it's cold and I'm glad he reminded me to bring my jacket. I pull it closer to me while we walk. We move towards a fork and hold still at that point.

When we both turn to the left, I can see students sitting in small groups. I had no idea they hung out here in the evening.

One of them is Cheryl, in the middle of a group Slytherins laughing as hard as she can. I have never seen her like that, so happy. I see some more familiar faces and some of them wave at me. I wave back, just to be polite, but then Draco takes my arm in his hand.

I turn to face him and he has a soft smile on his face. 'If you like to stay here you can, but I'm not the social type', he points at the right corridor, it's empty and a little darker. I wasn't surprised, I couldn't picture him between those small groups who were having fun anyway.

'I came here with you, so I'm going to stay with you', I assure him. He looks at the ground a little ashamed and takes his hand of my arm. Then he nods with his head I should follow him. I turn again to the left corridor and see Fred waving at me. I wave back and follow Draco.

Along the left side of this corridor there are stone details in the wall which are used as benches by most students.

Draco sits down on one and I go sit right before him, our knees just a few centimetres from each other. It seemed a lot warmer here because the wind couldn't touch us.

His blue eyes still look bright in the dark and I feel comfortable for the first time in a while. Not the usual comfortable I had with Oliver, this was different. Oliver ..., I think. I broke his heart. But Draco wouldn't let me think of that.

'I hope you're not cold', he says nodding at my dress that comes above my knees. 'No, I'm okay', I laugh a little as if I'm shy. I look above me and realise how different this castle looks in the dark, without that many students. And still it has its own magic in some way. I never want to leave this place.

'Do you come here often?' I ask him, still focusing on details in the wall I never noticed before. He looks around too, but before he answers he turns to me again.

'I like being alone, sometimes', he starts, but hesitates. 'If you like to be alone than why am I here?' I ask calm. I'm glad he doesn't mistake that answer, he just smiles a little.

'I thought you may enjoy this'. Draco spreads his arms to point he is talking about the castle in the dark. 'I do', I whisper. I laugh a little when a thought crosses my mind and after that, my face goes sad.

'What's wrong?' He asks, and leans forward to look in my eyes. I demand my tears to get back from where they came and laugh more enthusiastic now.

'Nothing, I thought of something, it's not important.' He doesn't stop looking at me and it gives me chills. 'You can tell me, I hope you know that.' After staring in his eyes for too long I sigh and let him win.

'This reminds me of a few years ago before I came to Hogwarts. My brother and I used to sneak out of the house into the dark woods. Not far from our house was a kind of chapel, we used to hang out there always.'

His eyes show nothing but compassion but this time it doesn't bother me that someone feels compassioned about me. 'I miss that time', I lift my shoulders and am glad someone listens to me in all honesty.

'It must have been hard for you, the whole situation with you family.' He scratches behind his neck, a little nervous. 'I didn't make it easier', he adds. I try to meet his eyes again.