Letter

Chapter 10: Summer Diggory

Two weeks had passed, the air got colder every day and I had forgotten how cold it could become in the winter. In a few days Gryffindor had a Quidditch match against Hufflepuff and I asked myself how Oliver would handle his nerves.

After his confession, we hadn't talked anymore but we still smiled when we saw each other in the corridors. It was almost December, but still no sign of snow. I lie in bed, staring at my ceiling, hooked in my own thoughts.

The past two weeks had been great, at least when it came down to me and Draco. A few nights ago, he had asked me to hang out in the corridors again, but I still didn't feel like it. Both him and I knew the real reason behind my fear, but we didn't talk about that.

Instead of hanging out in the corridor we studied together for our upcoming tests, it was not the same as with Cheryl, but we barely talked anymore.

She was always hanging out with a group who didn't care about their future, and something about her had changed. Although, I couldn't tell what exactly. Angela had made a new friend in Ravenclaw which surprised me.

She told me that she ran into a boy in the library. When he dropped his books she picked them up and he smiled at her. A classic love story, I thought, but I was happy for her. She was spending all the possible time with him and left me behind. But according to her it shouldn't be a problem because I had my own Prince Charming. That thought had made me laugh, I couldn't help it.

Draco on a white horse... I prefer Dragons.

I look at the golden necklace that still lays on my bedside table and out of nowhere a sharp sound comes from behind my door. It doesn't stop and almost sounds like a bird, but we are in the dungeons, I remind myself.

After a minute the noise still doesn't stop so I get out of bed. When I open my door there is no one, until I look at the ground and see a familiar owl sitting with a letter in his beak.

'Pacino', I greet my family owl, still disorientated. 'Well, well, how did you get here my old friend?' I say more to myself then to him when he flies past me into my room. I'm startled when someone else answers that question.

'It seemed urgent, and your name was on the envelope.' Draco stands behind me, his arms crossed. 'He flew into the dungeon?' I ask laughing.

'As I said, it must be urgent.' He walks over to my bed and sits on it without asking. I lean forward to take the envelope from Pacino and he flies away into our hallway. 'I thought you would give this book back?' Draco says, holding Hermione's copy of Pride and Prejudice.

'I totally forgot', I gasp. He laughs at me and every time he does, I feel butterflies in my stomach. It's so stupid. I look at the envelope and see my name written in the most recognisable handwriting ever. I don't even mind opening it and throw it on my desk.

'You know this book seems very lame', Draco says while reading the back of it. 'Well, it's not', I disagree, taking it from him. He stands up, his face just a few centimetres from mine, and I wonder if he feels the same for me as I do for him. I promised myself not to agree with Oliver, but staring into those eyes, those broken but still loving eyes, I couldn't disagree. 'We can go for a walk to the river?' I suggest when none of us says something.

'What about the letter?' He looks from me to my desk and back.

'It's probably not important'. I lift my shoulders and turn around but he stops me, holding his cold hand against my arm. I shiver and he immediately takes his hand back. 'Sorry, I don't know why my hands are always cold', he laughs a little stupid and I do the same.