Welcome Home

Chapter 20: Summer Diggory

It seemed that the end of the school year was a relieve for most of the students while I didn't want to go home. Everyone is gathering around and hugging each other even though the train only leaves in the evening.

We still had a whole day, I reminded myself and closed my trunk careful. Angela went to the Great Hall this morning to spend a few hours with Collin and I should probably do the same with Draco. In the afternoon, we needed to go to Professor Dumbledore to show us our notebook. I was hoping he wouldn't read through it and suddenly I realised that I hadn't read Draco's letter. He never gave me that.

At this point it didn't really matter, I knew he loved me and that was enough for now. Someone knocks on my bedroom door while I'm looking around and daydreaming about the moments I spent here. Cheryl walks in without my permission with a vague smile on her face.

She seemed tired, her hair in a bun, wearing a casual outfit. I needed a few seconds to realise how different she looked at this point, the whole year she dressed up until she was perfect.

'Sorry I come in like this', she apologizes and I can tell something is wrong. 'No problem', I point to my trunk, 'I'm already packed. Maybe we can find Angela and talk for a while', I suggest but she shakes her head slow. 'No, I'm sorry my parents always pick me up at the end of the year', she looks ashamed around but I don't understand.

'Why? I thought everyone went back home with the Hogwarts Express', I say confused and she walks in a little. 'Not everyone', she drops her trunk and breaths in deep. 'Is something wrong?' I ask careful. 'No, I'm fine', she assures me but I see right through her. I always used to say that sentence when I felt horrible.

'Well, if something is wrong you can always write me', I turn around, take a small paper from my desk and hand it to her. 'It's my address', I say staring at the paper. It felt weird to say that. She nods and puts it in her pocket. 'My owl knows,' she grimaces a little. 'I'm glad we became friends this year. Without you I would have been in a horrible position right now. It wouldn't be pleasant to face my parents while I'm drunk', she laughs about it but quits immediately.

'You've never talked about your parents before', I remark and she sighs. 'There is nothing much to say. They are both Slytherins and work in the Ministry of Magic. It doesn't matter', she walks towards me and surprised me with a hug.

'I'm going to miss you and I hope you'll be happy back home', she whispers. 'I'll miss you too', I say and she turns around to leave my room. Not even looking back. Maybe I wasn't the only one who didn't want to go home.

(time skip)

I couldn't find Angela but ran into Neville instead. At least it seemed like he was having fun again after the whole incident with Sirius Black. The Gryffindor's talked in a normal way to him and for a while I followed their conversation, trying to remember every detail of this castle. It did have something special, this was my home.

'We still need to do something', Fred says mysterious and George smirks. 'Let me guess, pranking other students?' Harry says laughing and I join him. 'We only have a few hours left', George complains while lifting his shoulders and both of them leave. Hermione and Harry lower their voices when they talk again and I want to ask them about Sirius Black but with Neville next to me that would be difficult.

'You are going home?' Neville asks and I nod. 'Maybe that is a good thing', he remarks, seeing the pain on my face. 'You're not the only one who told me that'.

After a while Hermione and Harry leave too after saying goodbye and wishing me luck. It felt so surreal to go back home. Sleeping in my childhood bedroom, dancing under the trees, walking on the riverside, sneaking out with Cedric. Could it ever be that great again? I was daydreaming, thinking of the few good memories I had of that place.