Chapter 3: The Sorting Ceremony (Year 1)

As you all were waiting for Professor McGonagall to return when all of a sudden a hoard of pearly-white figures came through the wall in the back of the room. They were arguing while soaring above all of the students, you couldn't exactly make out what they were saying though through the gasps of all the others around you. However as a couple moments pass they begin to speak directly to you and the rest of the students but were soon cut off by another's voice.

"Move along now, The Sorting Ceremony's about to start." It was professor McGonagall, and with that all the ghosts had floated away through the wall. You watched them as they left but your eyes soon averted back to the woman when you heard her speak once more, "Now, form a line, and follow me." As you follow behind Draco in the line you enter the Great Hall you gaze up to the ceiling, or was it a ceiling? It looked as though you were just looking up at the stars, just below the ceiling were thousands of floating candles and as your eyes trailed father down you could see shining plates and glittering goblets. You nudge Draco and point up at the ceiling, even he seemed impressed by all of it. Your eyes wandered up to the front, in which Professor Mcgonagall had set down a stool along  with a hat atop of it. Before you realized the hat began to sing.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty

But don't judge on what you see,

I'll eat myself if you can find

A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,

Your top hats sleek and tall,

For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat

And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head

The Sorting Hat can't see,

So try me on and I will tell you

Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,

Where dwell the brave at heart,

Their daring, nerve, and chivalry

Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,

Where they are just and loyal,

Those patient Hufflepuffs are true

And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind,

Where those of wit and learning,

Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin

You'll make your real friends,

Those cunning folk use any means

To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!

And don't get in a flap!

You're in safe hands (though I have none)

For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Everyone began applauding as the hat finished its song, then the hat bowed at the four long dining tables and everyone became quiet again. Professor McGonagall pulled out a scroll of paper and began to call out students names. 

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted." She immediately began calling names and the more names that were called the more nervous you seemed to get, what if you didn't get Slytherin what would your parents say, but also, what would Draco say? Draco had already been sorted, the hat had barely touched his head before yelling "SLYTHERIN", you were now standing behind the skinny boy with shaggy hair. It was Harry Potter the boy who lived, you felt bad for what happened on the train so you tapped lightly on his shoulder. 

"Hey.... I just wanted to apologize on Draco's behalf, let's just say he's a little full of himself. Anyways, sorry, I hope we can be friends." You held your hand out to him with a smile in hopes he would be able to see that you were being sincere. 

"Ah, I see. Yes he does seem pretty full of himself, apology accepted though. Y/N, was it?" He said while grabbing and shaking your hand. You nodded your head to imply that he had gotten your name correct, but just as you were about to strike up another conversation you hear your name get called.