11. Past beats: second heart

Rudra clutched Abhedya and Swarnima's hands tight. He knew someday he would have to tell the truth and he had framed sentences, memorised the facts and prepared his dialogue. But 'now' when the moment arrived he lost his ability to think and speak. So, Swarnima got up to get water for him. Abhedya on the other hand was losing his patience he just could not imagine his father with anyone other than his mother. He always thought that a love story like their's was one of a kind and the love his parents had was hard to find. But seeing his father secretly entering the house of a girl and wishing her with so much love .. was something he could not process.

Swarnima returned with two glasses of water and offered the men. Rudra drank in one go and Abhedya smashed the glass of water on the floor breaking it into 1000 pieces just like his heart was broken. He looked at Swarnima with disgust and accused her with his eyes.

Swarnima lowered her eyes took Rudra's hand in her's and asked him politely, "take all the time you want. You want me to call everyone?"

Rudra nodded his head negatively and said, "No! I will do it."

"Abhey! Please sit and listen to me very patiently and quietly."

"What's going on? I am hell pissed dad!! I don't have time for your fucking talks, so come straight to the point else I AM GONE!! I AM DONE!" Abhedya raised his hands and said with finality.

"Abhey, you remember I told you that 'that' girl is very special, I meant it. This girl you see here is not only my heart and soul but the reason your mother and me are living. We love our boys but 'this' girl is our world." Rudra said looking lovingly at Swarnima.

"Mom?!! Does mom know about you and her? Who is she dad!??" Abhedya was confused partly because there has always been just one more person his parents have loved more than him and it was HER. But she is not alive.

"Yes, Abhey. I know what you are thinking and it is correct. SHE WAS NOT DEAD. SHE IS ALIVE. SHE IS RIGHT HERE WITH US, INFRONT OF YOU. SHE IS OUR SWEETHEART 'SWARNIMA' OUR BABY 'NIM' and YOUR 'SONA'."

Rudra who was now in tears telling Abhedya the truth he was hiding for years.

Swarnima was rubbing his back consoling him. She had used all her courage to not break down. She always yearned for her FRIEND and wanted to talk to him like before but she could not reveal the truth to him. Now when he knows she didn't know how he would react? Will he accept her? Will their friendship be like before? Will the emotions that were buried, surface? Will he ever love her like he used to? Most importantly will he ever FORGIVE her for hiding herself from him?

Swarnima's chain of thoughts was broken when Abhedya's broken voice raised doubts,

"You are joking, right dad? To hide your scandalous acts you are using OUR SWARNIMA'S name?? Are you even listening, dad?? You.. dad just... forget it. There isn't any point talking dad. I am going bye!"

Rudra held Abhedya's hand and with tearful eyes pleaded, "I WOULD NEVER LIE ABOUT HER. You know that, don't you? Nim was saved by MA...her grandmother... but..."

Rudra could not complete and broke down completely. Swarnima consoled, "please control CHACHU! You cannot be so weak. Papa would not like it? Would he?"

Abhedya was a mere audience to the scene in front of his eyes. His father was broken and Swarnima was consoling him. She just addressed him 'CHACHU!!' Something SHE said to his father and he addressed her father chachu!

Their fathers were not brothers by blood but brothers by bond!

Rudra continued, "Abhey, SWADESH and RIMA were attacked but MA came on time and saved Nim and her brother DHEYA. Six years before, after carrying out an extensive search I found out that Nim and Dheya were alive and I immediately left to get the kids but the kids were still not safe and it was in the interest of them that they don't come here. When MA passed away Swarnima came here but she has to hide from the world and no one should know about her. Yes, she is hiding but not to just to protect herself but this STATE of OURS!