𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇

This chapter explains the first birth from which Taekook become eternally blood bound.

Rome
// 30bc //

The man wasn't much bigger than the average nineteen year old, but there was no doubting his years. He was all muscle on that small frame. The boy had that biracial look, slightly bronzed skin and straight nose of a typical Roman boy, but with slanted eyes and thin lips, the kind that would only be found in the faraway regions of exotic Asia. His clothes were those of a usual citizen, but they were still unusually impeccable, they appeared new. The simple silk shirt had oversized sleeves, that drooped slightly over his hands. The torso of the cloth, clinging to the hard lines of his toned chest, slightly straining the tenuously buttoned material. There he sat, one leg crossed over the other, arms spread out across the headboard of his chair. It was a pleasing bottle green with a dusky mahogany trim, contrasting perfectly with the boy's silk white and brownish-burgundy corduroy trousers. Even the armchair made a statement of authority, ostentatious in its detailing. The rich autumnal palette of it all was brilliant and the reds as deep as a virginal ruddiness. The wood had been polished to a high shine and the floor beneath lacked the usual thin layer of dust these large homes often had. The boy gazed into the candlelight lamp as if it were some window to look out of, with a blasé look on his face. "Emperor Jeon, we're ready to take the chariots down to Egypt now." A voice rumbled. High in tone, but was filled with loyalty and authority. "Yes, yes, get my things and put them in there, hurry up Hoseok." Jeon drawled, picking at his his nails. There was a shuffle before Hoseok left. That's right, Jeon was going to Egypt tonight, and they were planning on a marriage for the new young emperor, perhaps that King's daughter, Tanietra. Jungkook wasn't open for 'marriage' let alone insolent women who begged to be in wedlock. He heaved himself up, with a petulant sigh, brushing himself of nonexistent dust, before making his way towards the double doors, where two guards instinctively lifted open the hatch of wood to allow the young emperor to pass. "The Corbita is ready to sail, Emperor." A servant announced, with a bow as Jeon passed with a 'hmph' of acknowledgement. "Prepare to set sail for Egypt." He bellowed to the horde of awaiting soldiers, who saluted at his order.

Egypt

Taehyung turned brusquely. Gods, why did father believe that the Rome Emperor was only coming for Taniera? He was obviously plotting a coup for Egypt. It was so obvious, how did anyone not see the plainly obvious fact? "Taehyung, why aren't you in your room?" It was Jimin. Taehyung leapt back upon seeing the candlelit silhouette of his acquaintance in the dim hall. "A-Ah, I just came out for a little dawn constitutional, nothing else." No, he had come to try and sneak into father's balcony to get a glimpse of this new Roman Emperor who would arrive at dawn... now.

The warm sun of the early morning warmed the skin of Taehyung. Feet bare in the cold hallways of the palace, his thin khaki linen trousers under a white satin loincloth fluttering in the light breeze. Taehyung hummed absently, twisting his neck to peer outside the door, to see a tumult gathering outside the gates of the palace, mostly women, some men, mostly their husbands, some young boys, and even servants. They all were silhouetted by the glare of the sunrise, and against the line on the distant horizon, was a vast mothership-like object, making its way closer and closer by the minute. A chariot. Taehyung recognised their galea, red plumes on imperial helmets. Centurions, the Emperor's men.

Without looking back, Taehyung darted past Jimin, the young royal slightly disgruntled by his shoving away, as he bounded towards the palace entrance, and towards the gates where the hordes of both commoners and royals, seemed to be ever-growing.