chapter 1

Ian strode into the great Hall, his friend and commander right behind him.

"My Lord, ye'r father, he wants to see ya. He said to tell ye that immediately ye return," the maid said with her head bowed.

"Where is he?"

"His chamber," she said.

"Wait for me at the stables," he commanded Ryan and left. His father hated to be kept waiting, and ever since his illness, his temper had been running short. He wondered if he was about to be berated about his decisions,the old man liked having his way in everything. He opened the door to his fathers chamber very slowly, thinking he was sleeping, but the old goat was wide awake,and sitting near the window, his eyes bright from the wine he had been drinking.

"Ian, come,come, I have news," and Ian dreaded the news, if it was making his father happy, then it was bound to make him unhappy. "I have just received a little bit of news...., from king Tudor," he said and smirked. Oh no, this can't be good.

"Well, what is the news," Ian asked impatiently.

"And I have replied him," the King continued, ignoring him, "You will find out in due course, but all you need to know is he has proposed a truce, you will act as my emissary and go to Mercia, and whatever decision you make, I agree to it. You leave tomorrow,at dawn. Now go, leave me be," he said and turned to face the window.

"Oh and Ian," he said, "congratulations are in order, I think. Now go."

What the heck just happened,and congratulations to what,all these thoughts were running through his mind as he made his way to the stables. He saddled his horse and rode out, with Ryan at his side.

"So, what did your father say?"

"Mercia has proposed a truce, we leave at dawn tomorrow."

Ryan sighed, Ian wasn't willing to say more,and he knew it was a futile attempt to get him to talk. He was glad that the Mercians had proposed the truce, thereby putting an end to the feud. And what had caused the war?, border lines!. If it was up to him, there would have been no war in the first place. But, he wasn't king, neither was he in the king's council. Thank God no real damage had taken place yet. He glanced sideways at Ian, something was bothering him, that he refused to talk about, but he also knew Ian would tell him in due time,when he was ready.

So, to take his mind off whatever it was he was thinking about, he said, "I saw you with Freyr yesterday."
And Ian stiffened, before he saw a blush beginning to spread on his face.

   "Whaat!!!, am I seeing clearly?, The great Ian of Scotland, blushing?, I must be dreaming. Wait, let me go get the rest of the warriors, they wouldn't want to miss out," Ryan said laughing.

"Shut up you cow," Ian said,but this made Ryan to laugh even harder. So, he kicked the rump of Ryan's horse, hard, and the poor animal took off, galloping away. Of all the people on earth, why did the gods decide to reward him with an idiot like Ryan, he shook his head and trotted back to the keep.

Soon, Ryan caught up with him. At the stables, he rewarded his horse with some sugar cubes and patted his neck. He looked up and saw the maid Freyr,the one he had spent the night with, hurrying across, a basket of laundry in her hands.

He blushed again, and Ryan snickered. "My my, what a lass," he said, "perchance,I may have her this night." But Ian ignored him, he knew Ryan was only trying to bait him into talking about his love life.

                      **********

            The sun was just setting when they arrived in Mercia. They were immediately taken to the palace, and provided with rooms.