chapter 19

Coronation Day ...

April jumped scared as Marge, Karen and Arla burst into her chamber.

"Jesus Christ!" she exclaimed placing her hand on her chest. "Don't you know how to knock?" she asked angrily glaring at them, and they smiled unapologetically.

"Sorry, we're just so excited. Come on, get out of bed, we need to get you ready," Marge said bustling around the room.

April looked out the window and saw it was still morning. "It's still morning Marge, get ready for what? Breakfast?" she asked rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"No. You missed breakfast," Arla said removing the sheet covering her, and April curled herself into a ball and closed her eyes shivering at the cold. The fire was out.

"We need to get you ready for the ceremony," Karen said opening the door for maids to come in with steaming buckets of hot water.

"The ceremony isn't till a few hours, why are we starting now?" she grumbled as they pushed her into the bath house. Arla went to the shelf and began picking out bottles of different scented oils and soaps which she poured in the huge wooden tub.

"Come on, don't just stand there, get in! We don't have all day," Karen said.

"Actually, we do," April said, but of course, no one was listening to her. She sank down into the tub while they washed her, even though she could do it herself. They wanted to be thorough. After her bath, she wore her robe and they sat her down, and Karen sat on a stool opposite her. She took her feet and placed it on her lap. She took out a small vial containing black ink. She dipped a small brush in it and was about touching April's feet with it when she pulled her leg back.

"What is that?" April asked.

"It's ink."

"What's it for?"

"It's for beautification. Now, bring your legs," she said snatching April's leg and placing it back on her lap. She took the brush again.

"Wait! Will it clean off?" she asked skeptically.

"Yes. It will wash away with water," Karen explained. April still wasn't convinced, but she didn't protest. Karen painted different patterns on the top of her feet and her hands, as well as her finger and toe nails. Karen was the one who did it because she was the only Alban among the four of them, and she knew their traditions.

April sat still as Karen painted and Arla brushed her hair. When Karen was done painting, she began blowing on it to dry faster.

"You have such lovely hair mi'lady," Arla said admiring her long dark tresses. Her own hair was short and brown. "Master Ian is lucky to have you," she said.

April only smiled. She couldn't bring herself to join in the conversation going on around her. Her heart was heavy. Ian, she would be seeing him for the first time since that.... unfortunate incident. Why couldn't he be satisfied with her alone? The girls were talking, but she paid no attention.

"Did you hear me mi'lady?" Karen asked staring at her. They were all staring at her.

"No. Sorry. What did you say?"

"I said that during the ceremony, you would be asked a question, and you are to reply in Gaelic. You are to say 'sea, glacaim leís', meaning yes I accept," Karen said.

April nodded and repeated the words, "se, glacaim leís."

"No, no no. Sea, pronounce it as if there is 'h'. 'shea glacaim leís.'