chapter 25

The sun rose, and with it, the inhabitants of the keep. April could hear them moving about, but she couldn't bring herself to stand up. Not when her heart was so damaged. She sniffed and wiped her red nose with the back of her hand. She sat up and leaned back against the headboard.

She had spent the entire night crying against her will. She looked down at her fingers as some tears dropped on them, and she willed herself to stop crying but couldn't. Her tear ducts seemed to have a mind of their own. She recalled the conversation they had three mornings ago, it seemed like a lifetime to her now. Ever since then, she had lain in bed, just being satisfied to lay all day long.

And whenever he came into the room, she pretended to be asleep. She could not face him. Not yet. He hadn't come to bed the previous night, and she couldn't help but think that he was with her again. Again!

She hated herself for loving him even then. She sighed and got up, walking over to the window. She opened the drapes just a little and gazed out, just like she had been doing everyday since she heard them....

Snow covered the ground, and she shivered as if just remembering that it was cold. Life seemed to get along just fine without her. As she stood there feeling sorry for herself, she heard footsteps approached the door. Without thinking twice, April dove for the bed and pulled the covers to her chin and closed her eyes. She didn't want to know if it was him.

As she lay still, she heard things being moved around. She opened one eye and saw it was Arla setting a tray on the table.

Arla, bless her soul, was the only one that had come to her everyday. Even when she ignored her.

Arla walked over and drew back the drapes, letting the light flood in. Then she snatched the covers from over April's body, and April curled herself into a ball.

"I know you are awake," Arla said, her hands on her hips. "So get up."

April sighed and opened her eyes, glaring at the girl. It was no use pretending to Arla. The girl knee her too well.

Arla smiled sweetly in return. "Good morning, your majesty."

April grunted in reply and sat up. Arla took the tray and dumped it on her lap.
"Eat," she commanded. She waited till April had begun eating before she spoke again, "I will get some hot water for your bath."

April nodded, and Arla smiled. Not a smile of pity, but the type that said I will always be here for you. Then she left.

                   ********

April sat on a chair facing the window. She was only out of bed because she was sure, and Arla had sworn that Ian was not at the keep. She didn't want to see him.

She turned the silk cloth over on her lap. It was a napkin, for her bairn. She smiled and placed her hand over her slightly protruded belly. It was still too small to be noticed. But she did, because it was, well, her body. Her baby was the only thing that gave her joy in these dark times.

She definitely wasn't going to tell him now that he had acted up. She ran her fingers over the little flower patterns she had sewn onto the napkin. Embroidery was not her forte, it was Noelles. But she had to admit, the napkin was the most beautiful thing she had ever made. She had made each stitch with love. She planned to love her bairn, boy or girl, she would love it with all her heart. And if Ian did not love it, she would love it enough for the both of them.

The door opened with a bang, and April jolted forth in her seat. The napkin fell, and she picked it and placed it back on her lap. She turned and saw Judith standing there with an angry expression.