chapter 13

The days dragged by slowly. The tapestry that April had been working on was finally completed, and it now hung proudly on the wall in the main hall. She was considering starting another one for her bed chamber. She took her cloak and went out to the battlement to stare out, just like she did everyday, hoping to see them returning, and to enjoy the view. She missed Ian, though she would rather die than admit to him that she missed him. This day, she met Owen there, and she was happy to see him. Lately, he had been spending a lot of time in his Chambers alone, only coming out once in a while. She walked over to stand beside him as they both silently stared out. From this point, they could see the village below and beyond.

Suddenly, he spoke up, "it gets lonely, you know. Being alone."

She held his hand which was on the parapet, "you are not alone. You have me, and you have Ian. And we both love you very much," she said with a kind smile on her face.

He turned to look at her, "of course. Forgive me, my dear. They are the words of a silly old man."

He fixed his gaze back out to the village below.
"Tell me, what are you doing here?" he asked.

"Uh, I...er, I came here to receive some air, just like you," she said, happy with herself for coming up with the lie. Part lie.

Owen looked like he didn't believe her, but he let it go. "Come, let us go inside. Maybe you could spare a game of chess for your old man," he said as he put her hand in the crook of his elbow and led her down the stairs.

She put her hand on his and said, "of course sire, anything for you."

They indulged themselves in the game of chess and checkers, and she beat him twice. The third time she had beat him, he overturned the board laughing, the figures falling to the floor with a clatter. And she had laughed along with him, "you are such a bad loser," she said between laughs.

Later that evening, just before the dinner hour, the warriors returned, and she went out to meet them. Ian and Ryan were not among them.

Had something happened to them? With a sense of dread, she approached one of the men.

Not bothering with niceties or formalities, she asked, "where are the rest of the men?" She feared the answer he was about to give her.

The man bowed before speaking, "Mi'lady. They made a stop, they'll be here soon."

But soon turned to hours, and she became apprehensive. Dinner came, and she could hardly swallow a bite.

What's taking them so long?

It took a lot of will not to ask the soldier the same question again.

Feigning an headache, she pleaded absence and took her leave from the table. She went to her chamber and took a bath, taking time to soak herself in the pool. The servants liked to sprinkle a handful of rose petals in the pool every morning, so the water scented. Later, she massaged oils into her body. Seated by the fire, partly to dry her hair and to chase away the cold that had settled in her bones, she brushed her hair till it lay in thick shiny damp waves on her shoulders. Feeling warm, she went to bed and under the covers. She prayed Ian would come home soon, so she would stop worrying.

*********

The gates opened as they approached, and they rode into the courtyard. The guards saluted as they passed. The keep was silent, it was night, and everyone was asleep, as was expected.

"Home sweet home."

Ryan said as he climbed down his horse.

"Would you like to give your father reports now?" he asked as they walked into the hall. Some warriors were still awake, probably talking about pretty handmaidens and who got to take who.