ch. 18 ✰ horror movie competition

After a few minutes of discussion, everyone had decided that we should watch the movie in the movie theater itself and not the living room because it adds dramatic effects to it. So, grudgingly, everyone had moved over to the magnificent movie theater by the gaming room. It is obviously not as large as a regular movie theater, but since this is a home theater, it is sort of a mini size compared to the regular one.

The first thing I see when I enter the area is a huge black screen that covers the entire wall. And then, there is a huge white leather sofa encircling around a major part of the room, and around there are different bean bag chairs for everyone to sit in. This obviously doesn't look like a professional or proper movie theater, but hey, all we truly need is a big ass screen.

Besides the screen and the seating area, there is a popcorn machine in the back, a snack dispensing area, and a cooler that stores sodas and different drinks. I walk over there, grab myself a bag of popcorn and a diet soda and then I sit over in a plush gray bean bag chair while I set my food and drink aside. Neha and Ayushi sit beside me, and beside Ayushi is Suhana. And I believe all the boys are seated on the sofa above us. Akash has reclined his part of the sofa as he situates himself beside Manav and Ali, but Manav then gets up in front of the room and starts to speak.

"Alright, I believe this is going to be a competition," he clears his throat, gesturing for everyone's attention. "Since you girls made us watch that rom-com movie, we boys are going to make you watch a horror movie."

"This is so childish," Neha snorts.

"What did you say?" Manav glares at Neha. She then snickers to herself and places her hands up in surrender. Then, he takes a deep breath and continues to speak. "Anyway, I am going to start a horror movie, which is going to be a surprise."

"Why?" I ask.

"Because it is!" he snarls.

I raise my eyebrows at Manav's sudden remark and lean over to Neha with a smirk plastered on my face. "Damn, what crawled up his ass and died?" I murmur to her. She giggles to herself and I snigger.

Manav completely disregards our behavior and goes over to toggle around on Netflix. I notice him typing up scary movies in the search bar, and I suddenly feel my anxiety rising as he searches through all the movies with its scary covers glaring back at me. I personally don't prefer watching horror movies because they are just too scarring, but I would definitely watch horror movies if I had to or if it were for a competition, like here for example.

My eyes glance over Ayushi and Suhana, who are slightly cuddling each other. "It's gonna be okay," she convinces Suhana, persuading herself as well. "We will be fine."

"Gosh, I sure hope so," Suhana mutters, and they continue to cradle each other.

I take a deep breath and try to regain my composure, but I suddenly feel a light tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I see Akash looking at me competitively, inches away from where I am. He's up on the couch, so I have to look up to meet his eyes. The room is obviously dark, with a few lights running around to slightly illuminate the room. I look at him in question as he leans down towards me, his husky voice resonating, "We're so gonna win."

I look at him challengingly and clear my throat. "And what makes you say that?"

He continues to lean forward until he is at least a foot away from my face. "I just know we are," Akash replies smarmily. Even though I can barely see his face, I can still make out his facial features, and how his eyes look at me so icily, as if he is challenging me incredulously. I try to speak, but I feel my vocal chords torn, making me unable to form comprehendible words. My throat remains dry as I gulp to make myself able to breathe better. Even just a quick glance from him enables me to freeze in sight, cause my mind to wreak in havoc. I don't know how he does it... but whatever he does, it makes me feel fucking chaotic and frozen at the same time.