Chap 7 🧳

The car ride to the park was uncomfortable on multiple fronts and the ride back isn't any better; Jaime was visibly angry that I called the cops since it was a risk for him given what his career is and I didn't think of it.  As well as the scathing, awful ex husband coming around AND I'm personally uncomfortable because this just isn't a situation I wanna be in, and I'd sure like it if I got out of it. 
    Plus I broke a nail while putting on my seatbelt and now I'll have to glue some fake shit on there or cut them all and wait for all of them to grow back again and until I get back home I have some pieces that keep getting caught on my clothes!
Of course Rosie was the one to break the silence.
  "Mami, Daddy, who was he?  Was he the man from my room?"
   Jaime looks over to me angry again.  Had I not told him Wyatt had been in her room?
   "Este...si baby.  That was him."

"What was he doing in her room?!" Jaime whispers to me, making me clutch the steering wheel hard. 

  "I thought we already talked about this!  He came with Steve, it was late at night on the night you came back from the UK."

   "Yes, that you mentioned."

"Well he also ran into Ro's room and looked at her while she slept for a while and Steven and I kept telling him to leave and eventually he did but I guess Rosie heard us all whispering, kinda like she probably can now." I say while looking at her through the mirror, seeing her distracted while playing with her slime toy thing.

   "Hmm, maybe you had mentioned that and I forgot.  I'm sorry." He says while touching my arm "I just hate him, and I want him as far away from you both as possible.  Are you sure I shouldn't just, take care of him?"

   "Babe I know this was stressful for you but I really don't think it would be great optics if my ex husband turns up dead after getting into a fight with my current boyfriend over me and Rosie.  I can handle this, I promise." I say glancing toward him and smiling a little

   "Alright.  I trust your judgment.  But if he tries something again I can't be sure-"

   "Who wants McDonald's!?" I ask hoping that would change the conversation and get Rosies mind off the strange man that keeps popping up in her life and looks suspiciously like her.

*********

   Our pickings for something healthy-ish was slim so we just got her a sundae to go while J and I will just wait until we get home to eat.  I didn't used to be this concerned with what I put in my body but Jaime and I have to set an example.  Meeting Jaime only encouraged me to keep on that road, what with him being a vegan and all.  He's changed a lot about me, in a good way.  Whether I wanna admit it or not, I never could've raised Rosie this well on my own.  The car still feels tense and I owe it to him to make sure Rosie knows, at least some, of what's gone down and why her dad Jaime got into a fight with a stranger in front of her house.  Once parked I turn around to Ro.

   "Baby, about that man from today.." I start and notice Jaime tentatively looking at me

   "What?" She says, still eating her ice cream

  "He and I used to be...friends." 
Fuck me this is really hard to explain to a three year old

  "Friends?"

"Yeah, really really close friends.  For a long time."  I say, not really knowing how to keep going

  "Why did they hit each other?" She asks, looking at Jaime

"Because he wasn't a good friend to your mummy.  He did things that hurt her and made her feel bad.  I couldn't let him come near you or your mum again.  I have to keep you both safe." Jaime says