Chap 19🧐

"THAT IS NOT FUCKING POSSIBLE! You can't find anything? A Facebook? LinkedIn? Old MySpace account?! Something?! I'm social media phobic and even I have at least two of those things and you can't even find a single thing? Not even on his record?"

"His record is completely clear sir, I could come by and drop off his file if you'd like. In the meantime I'll keep looking into any possible aliases or middle names or something. No one's this much of a saint."

"You can't do anything else, Kent?"

"As of right now, this is all the information I got. As I said, I'll keep looking into him since I owe you but you gave me a single name to go off of and an address. That's not very much, Schneider."

"Alright, you can drop off the file anytime tonight or tomorrow. Thanks man. I'll see if I can get you any more info that's of any use."

"No problem, sorry I couldn't be of more help."

"Don't be, the fucker might as well be a ghost. Talk later."

I hang up on my buddy and throw the burner phone back into my desk drawer. I see Jen at my office door with a sandwich on a plate and some juice.

"Kent still couldn't find anything on Jaime?" She asks, setting the tray down in front of me

"Not a single fucking thing, man might as well not exist outside of a single traffic ticket like ten years ago."

"What information, if any, do you have on him?"

I open my email to the report Kent sent me this morning and read everything off
"Name: James Victor Herault-Delavál
Born: May 13th, 1992
Birthplace: Chiswick, London, England
Social Security Number: 609-23-0234
Blah blah blah
History of misdemeanors:
Minor traffic violation (was not wearing a seatbelt) for which he received a ticket of $205.67 in Adams County, Colorado."

"..So he found nothing, basically?"

"I'm gonna keep looking for more information to give Kent before I give up and look for something else to do instead. But he's shady, Jen. We both know it." I say stubbornly, I'll admit.

  "Wy, what if he may just really be a good guy?" 

"No!" I slam my hands on my desk "Nobody is this fucking perfect, this guy has to be hiding something Jen!   He's lived here since he turned 19 and the only thing he's fucked up is forgetting to put on a fucking seatbelt and getting caught?  I don't buy it and neither should you!  You just want me to stop digging because you and this dick are friends.  What?  When you're done here your gonna head over to your big buddy Jaime's place and tell him your crazy, psycho brother hasn't found whatever dark shit he's keeping in his closet?!" 

  "I'm one of the few people on your side here, dipshit!"  

I stay quiet and look down for a moment and whisper "Sorry.."

She whispers back "It's fine."

"I didn't mean to blow up, but I've been looking for weeks and I haven't found a single thing that could maybe be considered dangerous or strange other than the fact that's he's got NOTHING on his record." 

   "I know what you mean.  As much as I think Jaime's cool, I still don't think he should just get to be Rosie's father." She bites her lip and ponders a thought for a moment and says "I could call Lucy again, apologize and hope she answers this time."

"...Fuck it, can't hurt us anymore than we've hurt ourselves."

She takes out her phone and dials Lucy's number and puts it on speaker and for the first time in a while she picked up
"What Jen?"