Chap 18😢

"Well, you could not have managed to fuck that up more." Jen says as we both get in the car after trying repeatedly and failing to get Lucy to come back outside

Silent tears roll down my face as I look out the window while Jen drives and I feel that vein in my forehead still bulging. After a quiet few minutes driving back to my place I ask "Did you know she was doing so much better now? Monetarily speaking?"

"Honestly, I hadn't thought about it. I didn't think it was important since I didn't exactly expect you to pull out the custody bullshit out of nowhere. I figured she'd probably be better now since she was working in her field but not so much that she could afford you suing her." She answers, still pissed at me.

Not that I blame her, I've pretty much butchered any relationship she had with Lucy. She probably won't get to see my daughter any more than I will now. I really need to learn to shut up when I'm losing..

"Would you care to tell me where the hell that came from, by the way? What happened to I don't wanna sue her cause it's a shitty move and all that shit?"

"She was walking away! I just wanted to say something that would make her pause and consider actually talking to us."

"So you thought scarring her or pissing her off with a threat was the best way to do that?"

"I was panicking, I didn't know what else to do!"

"You could've literally lied down on the ground like a corpse and done nothing and it would've gone better. Hell it might've even confused her or made her think that you were losing your mind and taken pity on you. But no, instead you decide that trying to shove your metaphorical money dick in her mouth was the best course of action?!"

"No one knows how much I fucked up more than me okay?! I know I made things worse! I didn't mean to, but I'm case you haven't noticed I'm just a little bit desperate, Jen!" I scream, now openly sobbing.

I keep sobbing for a while as Jenny rubs my back, trying to comfort me as she drives.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel worse. I just can't believe how truly shitty it went, I figured worst case scenario she'd get pissed at me and you but that eventually we'd be able to calm her down and have her see reason. Those assholes they're friends with really didn't help.." she laments

I calm down and think about it
"Yeah, they really didn't..."

Thinking back again, why were they the ones there after they get broken into and not like a cop squad or something?

"Did something seem off to you?" I ask Jen

"You mean the three random strangers who were pointing fingers at me, asking if I was sent by some Aaron guy and those same guys later pointing guns and a rock at you? No, totally normal. Why?"

"Urgh, I meant more than that. Why were they the ones there instead of the police? Weren't they just broken into last night? Shouldn't they be more worried about getting hit again rather than some random guy named Aaron?"

Jen mulls this over for a second before agreeing "Yeah, that's weird. I don't know, I guess I just figured the break in was a while ago and the cops had left? And their friends just came to comfort them?"

"Even if the break in had happened at 1:00 am, the police would still be there. Don't you remember when Mom and Dad were broken into a few years ago? The cops were there for basically the entire next day."

"But that's because the robbers had hit dad and fractured his shin, don't you remember how he milked it to get mom to do practically everything short of wiping his ass?"